Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26, 2011, 09:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Ultra PSU

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone has had any experience with Ultra PSUs, either good or bad. I have been doing a whole bunch of research on parts for an upcoming build, and I know most people have a specific brand or brands that they recommend alot. I rarely see Ultra being recommended, and was wondering if there was something that I missed regarding that brand.

I had a fairly good experience with Ultra's customer support recently. While looking at various PSUs I had a question about a couple of their units, they responded quickly, and even ended up calling me and spending approximately 30 minutes on the phone with me. Admittedly, my original question never did get answered, but many others did get answered.

So I am curious to see if any of the HWC members have any experiences with Ultra products.

I am working on a new build advice post as well, but may have to modify the post depending on results of a pm or two I sent out. Spent quite a bit of time going through the BST forum the last day or two.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old April 26, 2011, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would not recommend an ultra psu. Go with antec, corsair, seasonic or silverstone among others. If you post your rig specs, we could narrow it down.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old April 26, 2011, 09:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think everyone here was waiting for me to respond.

Ultra is a hit or miss. I supported them very fiercely when I first came to HWC. They have a very solid platform from Andyson (their OEM) on their X3 and LSP. However for whatever reason they decided that they would cheap out and get crappier OEM Andy units for the LSX and X4 PSU's.

Save yourself the trouble and hassle and get something from Antec, Corsair, Silverstone etc.

Ultra was great once, when Jonny was working hard for them and making them good.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 27, 2011, 03:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the replies. Oddly enough it was both the LSP550 and LSP650 I had been considering from them. I had figured that the lifetime warranty after registration would be handy to have. I have looked at other PSU makes as well, just kept coming back to the two I mentioned.

Once I find out how successful I was on the BST forums I will post a system build/advice thread.
Old April 27, 2011, 04:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

No worries mate, luckily for you in the last two years there are much much better PSU's available.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old April 28, 2011, 06:26 PM
Rookie

so like someone said, if ultra is a hit or miss, i guess i got a hit
ive been running an ultra x4 750watts for two years now...
never had any major problems
yes it has its little bugs, but for the amount i paid back then, it more than paid for itself now =)
Old April 28, 2011, 07:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouter View Post
so like someone said, if ultra is a hit or miss, i guess i got a hit
ive been running an ultra x4 750watts for two years now...
never had any major problems
yes it has its little bugs, but for the amount i paid back then, it more than paid for itself now =)

I think you mean X3, the X4 is too recent for 2 years usage.

That being said the X3 was a perfect platform for its time.

I have 33 Units registered to Ultra. All of them X3's or LSP's.
ALl of them based on a solid platform by Andyson.

They might have better chances these days with their Gold line, as they changed OEM's.
But it is a hard fought battle for them to win support again.

ST