Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2011, 05:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
From my experience, Alienware uses VERY good quality PSUs but that isn't the question here.

There are several issues you many encounter when replacing a PSU in one of their cases. First of all, they use standard ATX PSUs with identical pin-outs but due to the custom nature of their cases, cable lenghts may be longer or shorter than the norm. Shorter shouldn't cause an issue but make sure you measure the cable lengths prior to ordering a new PSU just in case some are longer.

Also, Alienware products have been known to have custom mounting hole locations for PSUs from time to time. So you may have to physically drill into the case to create standard mounting hole locations.
Yeah I won't have a problem with cable length, the cables are all quite small, it's an IDE setup as I said earlier so I would like to figure out if the graphics card is AGP or PCI-E since this guy wants to upgrade w/e he can and I can find a decent AGP card out there. The motherboard is pretty fancy though, it's got custom north bridge and south bridge fans, still need to test this PSU out though, my main problem is my living rooms a huge mess haha...I got boxes I still haven't opened from last year of crap I've ordered...I'm a terrible hoarder.
Old March 19, 2011, 01:22 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Delta PSUs are not crappy. They are very good OEM grade PSUs and are very reliable. The only thing to worry about is whether it is odd shaped or not. If it used to be a Delta in there before then I don't think have to worry about odd shaped as I have swapped out a Delta PSU out of my Acer before and fitted in an aftermarket PSU in to the casing. As for cable length I suppose since it is a OEM PSU a extra long or aftermarket standard length cable is not needed. The 24 pin power cable on my Delta PSU is short and has enough length just to reach the 24 pin connector in a mATX case.
Old March 19, 2011, 01:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I seem to recall that Apple used to use Delta PSUs too.(not sure if they still do though)

When dealing with any OEM stuff you cannot just presume that the PSU size/shape is standard. Same goes for the cable length.