Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2008, 04:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithkt View Post
Just a small follow up. I was able to borrow an Enermax Noistaker II EG425P-VE, 425W supply from my office. This thing claims 20A per +12 rail on a 2 rail setup. It works perfectly. No sentinel warnings after approximately 10 reboots. 3dMark06 scores are now around 11800 instead of 1100 I was getting. I even added two additional 120mm fans, some LEDs for case lighting and an additional 500G Spinpoint.

Do I really believe the Corsair is bad? No, I don't. I can't keep the Enermax, so I'm back to waiting.
This happens with Antec and Corsair
Old January 22, 2008, 04:22 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
This happens with Antec and Corsair
Yep, I am painfully aware. It's also not limited to those two.
Old January 22, 2008, 04:35 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithkt View Post
Yep, I am painfully aware. It's also not limited to those two.
Correct. It extends to other PSUs as well.
Old January 22, 2008, 04:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozworth View Post
As it happens i am considering getting the hx620 but some of these psu's are also having problems running the 8800gt as you can read here.
HX620W & EVGA 8800GT KO : insufficient power?!! - The Corsair Support Forums
When i look at other forums one persons solution seems to be another persons problem so im just going to take the plunge and hope the psu i get works.
wtf that sucks well um ill try to find my box so u can see what version it is that works
Old January 27, 2008, 03:28 PM
Rookie

Problem has been solved.This person was having problems with his Antec psu and Antec say they have arranged the problem and have revised units."Okay a little more info... apparently it is a timing issue, when your computer first turns on the PSU sends power down each line and then backs off waiting for the computer to start the boot process. With the G92 cards they are expecting to see this at a different time than when they are actually getting the signal and it causes them to think they are underpowered so they clock themselves back"
Old January 28, 2008, 07:30 AM
Rookie

If this is the case, it seems like something that could be remedied with a GPU BIOS update rather than having to swap power supplies. I'm still waiting....
Old January 28, 2008, 03:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I think that is a good question and I will tell you why I am avoiding putting anything on the front page. Since there is no solution or even a clear indication about what is causing it, making broad announcements would only inflate the situation beyond what it is already. There will always be those people who go running around shouting "The Sky Is Falling!!" and I personally don't want to give them ANY food for thought.

At this point I am taking a "wait and see" approach to see if the manufacturers come up with any solution. I think the reason we are seeing so many reports of Corsair PSUs having this issue is because the HX620 is ridiculously popular so of course there will be more reports of anything that goes wrong with it.

Like I said on Jonnyguru: this has happened with numerous PSUs for me so pointing the finger of blame will just have to wait...for now.
I agree with you that you cant go pointing the finger of blame and putting something on the front page but the situation is entirely the opposite where no one seems to know anything about this at all.I telephoned a few of the bigger psu makers tech lines and it was the first they had heard of this problem allthough i read at the time they were trying to solve the problem with nvidia.Just a bit of information and recognition about the problem would have gone a long way and saved me lots of wasted time and energy.
Old January 28, 2008, 03:47 PM
Rookie

This is a very valid point. I can't help but wonder how many other people who experience this problem assume the PSU is bad and replace it. It solves their problem by chance but does not really address the underlying cause. There are also countless threads out there of people complaining about low frame rates or just generally bad game performance. They may very well be affected by this problem and not even know it. Those running Vista don't even get the insufficient power warning. They simply have no clue. In the grand scheme of things, this problem is still effecting only a small percentage of the installed base, but I suspect there are many others who just haven't made the connection as there is nothing being reported anywhere. I have yet to see anything "official" from anybody.

Over and over I see people being asked if they have checked all the connections, reinstalled drivers, reseated boards and finally being told their 500W PSU must not be good enough or worse, their 1000W PSU isn't good enough because it's a multi rail and it must not have sufficient current on the 12V rail. Crazy.
Old February 5, 2008, 03:21 PM
Rookie

There have been updates on the corsair forums and the jonnyguru forums from the corsair reps stating that Nvidia has been able to reproduce the problem. No further info available yet, other than they are working on a solution.

The Corsair Support Forums - View Single Post - HX620 Problems with Nvidia 88** series G92 core
jonnyGURU Forums - View Single Post - 8800gt power issue
Old February 12, 2008, 04:57 AM
MVP
F@H

I'm getting the same problem...except it's with my PC P&C Silencer! I'm almost positive everything is plugged in all the way and the card is fully seated. It seems I only get the error at random times. Check my post here in the video card section: NVIDIA system sentintel reporting insufficient power?

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12