Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2008, 11:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

That's a maximum of 18 amps on each rail. You won't be able to get 18 on both rails at the same time.
Old January 20, 2008, 12:04 AM
Top Prospect

Do you think the G92 core (8800GT 512MB and 8800GTS 512MB), may not work with certain motherboard chipset. I also read that they are aren't compatible with SEASONIC BASED VX450W & HX series PSU'S.

Paphman910
Old January 21, 2008, 10:28 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I am actually surprised that this has not been blown all over the internet yet. Let me tell you, if it was ATI / AMD you would have seen EVERYONE trash talking.
Im dissapointed its not all over the internet.Im sure the problem would be resolved more quickly if it was.Im experiencing the same problem myself and after searching on various forums the problem goes back to the 8800gt's release.
Old January 21, 2008, 12:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

well tell they get it resolved if your looking for a nice modular mine works with it
Old January 21, 2008, 02:25 PM
Rookie

As it happens i am considering getting the hx620 but some of these psu's are also having problems running the 8800gt as you can read here.
HX620W & EVGA 8800GT KO : insufficient power?!! - The Corsair Support Forums
When i look at other forums one persons solution seems to be another persons problem so im just going to take the plunge and hope the psu i get works.
Old January 21, 2008, 07:52 PM
Top Prospect

Just an update to SKYMTL and all you very helpful people.

Ram Guy from Corsair has been in touch with me on their forum, and has
been good enough to admit that there are issues between Corsair, other PSU suppliers and the 8800 GT cards. Corsair and Nvidia are, (along with a few other suppliers and manufacturers I would guess) working towards a solution to the problem.
Meanwhile we've decided to go with SKYMTLs recommendation of the Silverstone OP650.
Should be in tomorrow, so we'll see how it does after a few days of gaming torture
Muaahahaha.
Thanks again guys.

Randy
Old January 22, 2008, 06:48 AM
Rookie

As I commented in the like thread on the Corsair forums, I look forward to hearing whether you are successful with the OP650. I was building two systems using the same model motherboard, GPU, and PSU you used. If this works for you I may eat the cost of the Corsairs and order two of these as well.

Question for SKYMTL....

Any suggestions on how to bring a spotlight on this issue? Seems like there are posts on just about every enthusiast board, but I never see anything on the front pages.
Old January 22, 2008, 09:20 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithkt View Post
Question for SKYMTL....

Any suggestions on how to bring a spotlight on this issue? Seems like there are posts on just about every enthusiast board, but I never see anything on the front pages.
I think that is a good question and I will tell you why I am avoiding putting anything on the front page. Since there is no solution or even a clear indication about what is causing it, making broad announcements would only inflate the situation beyond what it is already. There will always be those people who go running around shouting "The Sky Is Falling!!" and I personally don't want to give them ANY food for thought.

At this point I am taking a "wait and see" approach to see if the manufacturers come up with any solution. I think the reason we are seeing so many reports of Corsair PSUs having this issue is because the HX620 is ridiculously popular so of course there will be more reports of anything that goes wrong with it.

Like I said on Jonnyguru: this has happened with numerous PSUs for me so pointing the finger of blame will just have to wait...for now.
Old January 22, 2008, 10:19 AM
Rookie

Fair enough. Redbeard (Corsair rep) from Jonnyguru was kind enough to post an update that they are still working with Nvidia and I'm hopeful it will lead somewhere. I've always considered myself a very patient guy, so I guess I am going to be put to the test. :-)
Old January 22, 2008, 03:07 PM
Rookie

Just a small follow up. I was able to borrow an Enermax Noistaker II EG425P-VE, 425W supply from my office. This thing claims 20A per +12 rail on a 2 rail setup. It works perfectly. No sentinel warnings after approximately 10 reboots. 3dMark06 scores are now around 11800 instead of 1100 I was getting. I even added two additional 120mm fans, some LEDs for case lighting and an additional 500G Spinpoint.

Do I really believe the Corsair is bad? No, I don't. I can't keep the Enermax, so I'm back to waiting.