Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2008, 10:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default ups question

a few years ago i lived in a house with terribly unstable power coming from the wall. it took a few blown psus (one actually blew out sparks and smoke until the fan melted shut) to figure out the problem. im a tech guy, and i couldnt find anything wrong with the pc. i took it in to 2 different shops who thought it was a bad ground or bad mobo/memory etc. turns out all i needed was a ups to end my troubles. i got one of these and have never had a problem with it since. i wouldnt run a pc without one now.

anyway, a few years later, i get a message from my ups software saying my batteries are 3 years old and may not hold a proper charge like they used to. in all this time i have spent about 30 seconds on battery power during 'blackout' situations, but it has protected me from 100's of 'brownouts' and other problems. my question is, will it still protect my system properly from the brownouts with these old batteries or should i replace them/the whole unit?

thanks
Old January 9, 2008, 11:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0m View Post
a few years ago i lived in a house with terribly unstable power coming from the wall. it took a few blown psus (one actually blew out sparks and smoke until the fan melted shut) to figure out the problem. im a tech guy, and i couldnt find anything wrong with the pc. i took it in to 2 different shops who thought it was a bad ground or bad mobo/memory etc. turns out all i needed was a ups to end my troubles. i got one of these and have never had a problem with it since. i wouldnt run a pc without one now.

anyway, a few years later, i get a message from my ups software saying my batteries are 3 years old and may not hold a proper charge like they used to. in all this time i have spent about 30 seconds on battery power during 'blackout' situations, but it has protected me from 100's of 'brownouts' and other problems. my question is, will it still protect my system properly from the brownouts with these old batteries or should i replace them/the whole unit?

thanks
Replace the whole unit they are very inexpensive now! You can get a pretty decent APC unit for like $60-70
Old January 9, 2008, 11:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'm quite the fan of these guys. Belkin Small Enterprise TW-RK 1500VA UPS at FrontierPC.com Canada

Easily powers 3 systems and 3 monitors each. Use them at VS Gaming, the systems suck about 300-400W (X2 4800, 2GB RAM, 8800GTS 320mb, 20" LCD) . So far they have been great.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old January 9, 2008, 11:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

ok ill look into whats out there now. when i got mine it was done in a hurry (no research), so i just got the beefiest one i could find in the store i was in...that belkin one looks nice.

do you guys think this 3 year old one is still good to protect anything from brownouts and stuff? if i could afford it i would use these things instead of power bars/strips for everything in my house
Old January 10, 2008, 12:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

unplug it from the wall and see how much time you got on the battery (assuming you have the monitoring software thats giving you the 3yr warning) I have 3 XS-1500's and 2 of them actually provide the run time stated by the software while plugged in when I loose power. The third goes from 7min plugged in, to 2min when power is cut, so I'm pretty sure that battery is toast.

Have an A-1 day!
Old January 10, 2008, 01:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

thats a good test, ill give it a whirl...

thanks you sir