Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   ups question (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/4024-ups-question.html)

t0m January 9, 2008 11:37 PM

ups question

a few years ago i lived in a house with terribly unstable power coming from the wall. it took a few blown psus (one actually blew out sparks and smoke until the fan melted shut) to figure out the problem. im a tech guy, and i couldnt find anything wrong with the pc. i took it in to 2 different shops who thought it was a bad ground or bad mobo/memory etc. turns out all i needed was a ups to end my troubles. i got one of these and have never had a problem with it since. i wouldnt run a pc without one now.

anyway, a few years later, i get a message from my ups software saying my batteries are 3 years old and may not hold a proper charge like they used to. in all this time i have spent about 30 seconds on battery power during 'blackout' situations, but it has protected me from 100's of 'brownouts' and other problems. my question is, will it still protect my system properly from the brownouts with these old batteries or should i replace them/the whole unit?

thanks

enaberif January 10, 2008 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t0m (Post 34101)
a few years ago i lived in a house with terribly unstable power coming from the wall. it took a few blown psus (one actually blew out sparks and smoke until the fan melted shut) to figure out the problem. im a tech guy, and i couldnt find anything wrong with the pc. i took it in to 2 different shops who thought it was a bad ground or bad mobo/memory etc. turns out all i needed was a ups to end my troubles. i got one of these and have never had a problem with it since. i wouldnt run a pc without one now.

anyway, a few years later, i get a message from my ups software saying my batteries are 3 years old and may not hold a proper charge like they used to. in all this time i have spent about 30 seconds on battery power during 'blackout' situations, but it has protected me from 100's of 'brownouts' and other problems. my question is, will it still protect my system properly from the brownouts with these old batteries or should i replace them/the whole unit?

thanks

Replace the whole unit they are very inexpensive now! You can get a pretty decent APC unit for like $60-70

Cptn Vortex January 10, 2008 12:17 AM

I'm quite the fan of these guys. Belkin Small Enterprise TW-RK 1500VA UPS at FrontierPC.com Canada

Easily powers 3 systems and 3 monitors each. Use them at VS Gaming, the systems suck about 300-400W (X2 4800, 2GB RAM, 8800GTS 320mb, 20" LCD) . So far they have been great.

t0m January 10, 2008 12:37 AM

ok ill look into whats out there now. when i got mine it was done in a hurry (no research), so i just got the beefiest one i could find in the store i was in...that belkin one looks nice.

do you guys think this 3 year old one is still good to protect anything from brownouts and stuff? if i could afford it i would use these things instead of power bars/strips for everything in my house:bananafunky:

4DoorGTZ January 10, 2008 01:33 AM

unplug it from the wall and see how much time you got on the battery (assuming you have the monitoring software thats giving you the 3yr warning) I have 3 XS-1500's and 2 of them actually provide the run time stated by the software while plugged in when I loose power. The third goes from 7min plugged in, to 2min when power is cut, so I'm pretty sure that battery is toast.

t0m January 10, 2008 02:04 AM

thats a good test, ill give it a whirl...

thanks you sir :thumb: