Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2011, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Measuring power consumption: UPS underestimating?

Hi all,

I have a APC Back-UPS ES 750 uninterruptable power supply that I got from Future Shop during the new years sales. In the PowerChute software that I downloaded for it, the "Current Status" tab shows the power supposedly being delivered by the battery backup.
I attached my tower's PSU to the battery backup of the UPS and used the PowerChute software to measure my computer while it was doing SMP folding. The PowerChute reported that the battery backup was providing 103W. I thought that was a little low for a Core i5 2500k OC'd to 4.2 GHz + Radeon 3650 idling through a 600W power supply that can't be anywhere near its max efficiency, so I tried measuring with my blue planet energy meter. The energy meter, measuring through the exact same UPS outlet, measured a more reasonable 141-143W as the power consumption.

Can I assume the UPS is underestimating the power consumption, or is it doing something devious like only giving me the "real" component of the power in its reading?

Thanks
Old January 24, 2011, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It might be the active PFC on the PSU throwing the numbers off, but either measurement probably isn't very accurate. I would assume the general ballpark is right though.
Old January 24, 2011, 10:12 PM
Banned
F@H

id say the 143ish is more like it

Intel Sandy Bridge Core i5-2500K & Core i7-2600K Processors Review

but oc'ed? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old January 28, 2011, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

your forgetting the charger side is also working on UPS try using the outlet on UPS with blue planet, not @ wall
Old January 28, 2011, 06:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The blue planet is attached to the UPS outlet, so the UPS charging current is not going through the energy metre. Right now my chain is going Wall -> UPS -> Energy Metre -> Computer PSU.
I had to reinstall my noisy Radeon 4870 (I can't even accept its fan speed at 32% ), so I have a new data set:
With the CPU OC'd and folding and the GPU at desktop idle:
  • The Blue Planet metre measures ~217W
  • The UPS software is seeing 166W