Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2010, 08:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Silverstone Olympia OP750 - old but still good?

ncix has this psu on for very cheap this week, Silverstone Olympia OP750
NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Olympia OP750 750W 20/24 Pin Power Supply ATX / EPS12V Active PFC 120MM Fan - OP750 In Canada.

everything looks good about it, overkill amperage for my use, i plan on grabbing a single GTX 460 1gB soon, and a few more HDD's

seems the fan may be noisy, but shouldn't be a problem with my low load and good air flow case, but i am pretty picky with noise so maybe i should steer clear
no sleeving = i may sleeve it myself
not modular = not a big deal i have a Fractal XL to hide the extra

it was released in 2007, so its a bit old, but thats not a big deal with a psu, unlike other tech

the price is killler though

any thoughts would be awesome
Old December 2, 2010, 03:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

bump, is this psu still worth buying?
Old December 2, 2010, 03:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

List out your specs fore the system. i5 and i7 are very voltage sensitve and if your planning on using one of them I would personaly go with a BRonze or Silver rated power supply .
Old December 2, 2010, 04:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
List out your specs fore the system. i5 and i7 are very voltage sensitve and if your planning on using one of them I would personaly go with a BRonze or Silver rated power supply .
Voltage sensitive? Efficiency? Those have nothing to do with whether or not it will power a system. There's no such thing as chips being voltage sensitive if the power supply is supplying proper, stable voltage within ATX spec.

That particular PSU may be a bit old but it'll power a 460 and whatever board/chip you choose without any problems. I'm not sure what OEM manufactured it or if its a Silverstone design but it shouldn't be too bad based on this review
PC Perspective - SilverStone Olympia 750W Power Supply Review

Even with a 500-600 watt power supply, it is more than enough for your needs although it may be cutting it close if you ever decide to get dual 460's in SLI.

Old December 2, 2010, 04:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook06 View Post
bump, is this psu still worth buying?
I would go for the Strider Plus personally, THe olympia is an old unit that has seen its day by modern standards.
The Olympia is an average unit, FSP I think, might be an older enhance platform too.
Price is good, and if you want grab it it will power most of what you want to do with it.
However if you really want a solid unit from Silverstone, I vote the strider.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 2, 2010, 05:26 PM
Banned
F@H

at that price i would buy 5+. go for it.
Old December 2, 2010, 06:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

after reading a bit more i found out that its actually very quiet unit, but a few people were having squealing problems at high loads and had to RMA, so it seems it should be all good, i have free rma shipping with ncix so if it squeals i can swap it out

woops forgot to add, thanks for the input guys!