Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2010, 08:35 PM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 644

My System Specs

Default

Check out XFX power supplies, their rebranded seasonics at a reasonable price with some nice aesthetic appeal + modular.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2010, 08:39 PM
JoshOohAh's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto Area
Posts: 47

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
If you're planning on keeping this for a few years as you stated.....pay the extra $40 and get the Corsair!
Everytime I think I settled on my decision someone counters it. I love the feedback but now this is getting tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
Check out XFX power supplies, their rebranded seasonics at a reasonable price with some nice aesthetic appeal + modular.
Thanks I actually was considering the XFX ones but they come around the same price point as the other ones I listed but the aesthetics is what turned me off because it would look out of place in my case. However I got to agree I read some good reviews on these things. Thanks for the input
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2010, 09:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Markham
Posts: 1,569

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshOohAh View Post
Corsair AX850 is more :P did you mean the AX750? Either way I see your point and I appreciate the help. I guess the Seasonic while it's on sale
Can't find the link for the AX850 from last week's sale, outta luck there. But it's still $180-$10MIR if you PM: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 CMPSU-850AX 850W ATX Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold Power Supply - DirectCanada Practically the same price as the HX850 you're looking at, is fully modular, has better efficiency, better ripple control, etc, etc.

Or you could save some $ on the X750: Agile Electronics - Buy Mfgs Part-#:R-X-750-A online in Canada
PM it at NCIX for the $30MIR, WAY cheaper and still an overkill PSU for AMD GPUs.

Plenty of better deals to be had on the newer versions of these high end Seasonics, just look around. (also the rebranded Corsair/XFX ones)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2010, 09:11 PM
JoshOohAh's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto Area
Posts: 47

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Can't find the link for the AX850 from last week's sale, outta luck there. But it's still $180-$10MIR if you PM: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 CMPSU-850AX 850W ATX Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold Power Supply - DirectCanada Practically the same price as the HX850 you're looking at, is fully modular, has better efficiency, better ripple control, etc, etc.

Or you could save some $ on the X750: Agile Electronics - Buy Mfgs Part-#:R-X-750-A online in Canada
PM it at NCIX for the $30MIR, WAY cheaper and still an overkill PSU for AMD GPUs.

Plenty of better deals to be had on the newer versions of these high end Seasonics, just look around. (also the rebranded Corsair/XFX ones)
Too bad I missed the sale :( However do you think there will be a huge difference thats worth the extra $55? From my understanding they both run at a 90% efficiency and giving me a little less on the +12v Rail when compared to the 2 +12v s on the Seasonic. By little I mean like 10A no biggy.

Or should I sit and wait on it because I still have a couple weeks before I get the cards
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2010, 09:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Markham
Posts: 1,569

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshOohAh View Post
Too bad I missed the sale :( However do you think there will be a huge difference thats worth the extra $55? From my understanding they both run at a 90% efficiency and giving me a little less on the +12v Rail when compared to the 2 +12v s on the Seasonic. By little I mean like 10A no biggy.

Or should I sit and wait on it because I still have a couple weeks before I get the cards
Not sure what you mean by that first question, all the PSUs mentioned in this thread except the Antec have single 12V rails and are pretty much all made by Seasonic.

M12D series from Seasonic is rebranded as the entire XFX lineup and most of the Corsair HX series.

X series from Seasonic is rebranded (but also slightly revised) as the entire Corsair AX series. (except the AX1200)

It's really just a matter of features and price. ANY of these units will be much more than enough for what you're using it for, with plenty of headroom.
The X series are fully modular vs partially modular on the M12D's, they have slightly higher power efficiency and slightly better ripple control.
The XFX warranty is shorter than the Seasonic warranty which is shorter than the Corsair. (7 years)
The Corsair equivalent of the Seasonic X series (with the exception of the 560W and fanless versions) are slightly revised for even better ripple control and they fix the minor cold boot issues. (the original X series PSUs sometimes wouldn't power up or gave slightly out of spec ripple if you didn't abuse them enough)

Wow, /end textwall. I should go to bed.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2010, 09:30 PM
JoshOohAh's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto Area
Posts: 47

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Not sure what you mean by that first question, all the PSUs mentioned in this thread except the Antec have single 12V rails and are pretty much all made by Seasonic.

M12D series from Seasonic is rebranded as the entire XFX lineup and most of the Corsair HX series.

X series from Seasonic is rebranded (but also slightly revised) as the entire Corsair AX series. (except the AX1200)

It's really just a matter of features and price. ANY of these units will be much more than enough for what you're using it for, with plenty of headroom.
The X series are fully modular vs partially modular on the M12D's, they have slightly higher power efficiency and slightly better ripple control.
The XFX warranty is shorter than the Seasonic warranty which is shorter than the Corsair. (7 years)
The Corsair equivalent of the Seasonic X series (with the exception of the 560W and fanless versions) are slightly revised for even better ripple control and they fix the minor cold boot issues. (the original X series PSUs sometimes wouldn't power up or gave slightly out of spec ripple if you didn't abuse them enough)

Wow, /end textwall. I should go to bed.
Sorry I meant is the difference in the power supplies worth $55. The Seasonic MD12D has 2 +12v Rails but it does not make a huge difference to me. But to answer my own question; I think I see exactly what you are saying. It comes down to, if I see a benefit in a longer warranty, added features, cables, etc because they preform very similar. Hope I interrupted that right.

Anyways thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it. I'm going to sleep on this one and hopefully come up with a decision before the sale ends.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old November 29, 2010, 08:17 AM
stoanee's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lacombe Alberta
Posts: 3,251

My System Specs

Default

Oh and another thing, I have both the XFX and the Corsair with the Corsair having much nicer cables. If you are going for overall looks the Corsair is hard to beat. Looks like the AX series is the same price as the HX series now. Watch for sales and make sure you pricematch.
__________________
heatware
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old November 29, 2010, 12:09 PM
JoshOohAh's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto Area
Posts: 47

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Oh and another thing, I have both the XFX and the Corsair with the Corsair having much nicer cables. If you are going for overall looks the Corsair is hard to beat. Looks like the AX series is the same price as the HX series now. Watch for sales and make sure you pricematch.
Thanks :D I have decided that I will just get the Corsair AX or HX (depending the price difference) at the Canada Computers near my house the day the graphics cards come in that way I don't need to pay to ship the power supply. However between now and then I will be on the lookout for and price drops or deals until then.

Thanks everyone for your help and input I really appreciate it!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old December 1, 2010, 07:07 PM
JoshOohAh's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto Area
Posts: 47

My System Specs

Default

Just and update I bought the Corsair AX 850 because it went on sale for 179.99 on NCIX. I mean it's more than I wanted to spend but at least it is a PSU that will last me a long time and seems reliable. Thanks for the help everyone
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old December 1, 2010, 07:55 PM
stoanee's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lacombe Alberta
Posts: 3,251

My System Specs

Default

Excellent choice, it will last many builds.
__________________
heatware
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard time to register johnieboy Suggestions & Feedback 5 January 19, 2010 12:43 PM
hey guys. psu chosing time _dangtx_ HardwareCanucks F@H Team 26 November 15, 2009 01:51 PM
[WTB] Looking for DVD player PSU (500watt)hard drive/s AMD cpu cooler Shadowmeph Buy/Sell & Trade 3 July 31, 2009 10:45 PM
I need help deciding. encorp CPU's and Motherboards 16 March 13, 2009 12:07 AM
Deciding on a Case BALISTX Cases 6 May 19, 2007 09:55 AM