Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2010, 07:49 AM
Rookie

Default CM PSU making electrical buzzing sound

Just bought a brand new CM GX 750W PSU, after 2 days of use, an on and off electrical buzzing occurs, it's not constant. But after i shut down the com a less loud buzzing sound is heard from the psu I'm sure of it.It's non-stop, i have to switch off the main socket to eliminate the noise. What is happening?
Old November 10, 2010, 10:52 AM
Banned
F@H

a coil is vibrating on a frequency you can hear, that's all.

but are you completely sure it is the new psu? try to return it, even if it works fine it shouldn't buzz your brains out. but before that hook it to another power bar, line conditioner or other ups you may or not have around. or hook it up to another socket, room?

me bro's puter was buzzing a bit, the wall socket he was using was poorly grounded.
Old November 10, 2010, 07:20 PM
Rookie

Yes, it's completely new but not fresh out of the factory of course. Is the buzzing sound an indication that the PSU is about to fail?
Old November 10, 2010, 07:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by areszues92 View Post
Yes, it's completely new but not fresh out of the factory of course. Is the buzzing sound an indication that the PSU is about to fail?

Well I would talk to CoolerMaster and see what they say. I Know people have RMA'd PSU's before for such things. IT doesn't always mean the PSU is failing, A lot of the times it's just coil whine. You can try a different outlet, or a power conditioner to see if that helps.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 10, 2010, 08:16 PM
Rookie

Is coil whine bad for the PSU?