Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2010, 11:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Current Draw

I have an oldie-but-goodie (and very shiny) PSU ready to get used in a build. I used the OuterVision PSU calculator and I know that I have enough wattage, but what I am worried about is the current draw. The PSU is 500W and supplies 20A on the +12V rail.

Parts I have lined up are:

- Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz (exactly which one I have no idea)
- Some really good Dell mobo I salvaged
- 4 sticks of assorted DDR RAM
- PNY GeForce FX 5200 (it's purple!!)
- A couple of 7200RPM IDE HDDs
- Disc Drive
- Probably gonna get a Rosewill RCX-Z200 CPU cooler
- A couple of Molex-powered ass'd size fans

Please don't laugh at me Had some stuff around and wanted to see what I could do for free or as close to free as I could get.

So, d'you suppose I'll get by?
(P.S. Would this build be able to efficiently run Win7, plus maybe a couple of games? I know it can run BF2412 and maybe TF2. I have no problems with XP, and I know for sure I can do those games with it, but having Win7 would be nice.)

Last edited by Reyzac; October 16, 2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old October 16, 2010, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Power Solutions

Depending on the size of the psu, it's rated wattage, and most of all the amperage. Checking out the amps of a few different ones, I came across a 1000 w with less amps than a rival's 750.

That said, you could use a 450, maybe even a 350, leaving some headroom. Might run with a 250, pushing it a bit though, imho. :)

Last edited by fishingfanatic; October 16, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old October 16, 2010, 02:23 PM
Banned
F@H

may we have the part number on the psu? or perhaps the ul?

if its a decent unit, like antec or enermax it should be fine.

also do remember that back in the days of old, power supplies had a much stronger 5 volt rail vs 12 volt, which is mostly used nowadays to power hungry components.
Old October 16, 2010, 03:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
may we have the part number on the psu? or perhaps the ul?

if its a decent unit, like antec or enermax it should be fine.

also do remember that back in the days of old, power supplies had a much stronger 5 volt rail vs 12 volt, which is mostly used nowadays to power hungry components.
It's certainly not an Antec or Enermax But it should be decent enough.
I don't even really know exactly what it is... It's got no brand on it, but it says MODEL: LPK2-30 in big letters across the top of the output chart.

About the rail: then... what does that mean for me?

I'm wouldn't expect these parts to draw so much current anyway. If it helps at all I can list all the connectors, or a pic, maybe????
Old October 16, 2010, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default fuund it :)

Newegg.com - Linkworld LPK2-30-P4 500W ATX12V Power Supply

21.50 at Newegg
Old October 16, 2010, 06:28 PM
Banned
F@H

ouch

please get something decent. as in a sparkle 400 watt for super cheap vs the one you got
Old October 16, 2010, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm currently running a Pentium 4 2.4GHz build with a 250W power supply made in the days of the larger current +5V line, and it's been folding 24/7 for months without problems. I used to run an AthlonXP 3200+ with Radeon 9650 GPU off of that 250W supply with no issues. So... if your cheap PSU can push 2/3 of what it says it can do, you should be fine. (have you used that PSU before?)

How many GB of RAM will you get with those random sticks? If it's less than 2 GB, forget about Windows 7 because you'll not have enough RAM to use superfetch and programs will be slow to load (but then again I use a Seagete Momentus XT in my laptop and an SSD in my desktop because I hate slow loading times).
Old October 16, 2010, 08:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

In All Reality for the type of system you should be okay even if its a no-name brand. Just don't be shocked if it gives up the ghost and deep-sixes the system.

@Dan - Remember not everyone knows what the UL number is, so perhaps a better explanation would help when you ask a question, or even a picture.

@ OP - Rails are each of the Voltage Divisions in a PSU. For Example , you will have +3.3/+5/+12 etc etc. Those are each a 'rail' , so if someone asks you can tell them what is on it. I.e. it should have like 20A / XXX Watts.

Otherwise, you should be good.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 16, 2010, 09:38 PM
Banned
F@H

sorry about that

ok, on the side of the unit there are some numbers.

exemple :

and then you plug it in here : UL Online Certifications Directory - File Number Search

and for the above, of course, it will say seasonic (e104405). but we know that already for this particular unit due to its part number : ea-500. a d at the end would be delta.

like this :

err..i cant find a side pic of it :D
Old October 17, 2010, 07:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Holy crap I think that's exactly it! Thanks, man!
@Dangtx: It does have the wattage listed on a large sticker on the side, so what happened to the guy in your link shouldn't happen to me.
@Frontier: Sorry I can't give you an exact value, as I have everything packed up nicely and I don't want to unpack it until I am ready to use it but yeah, it's less than 2GB.

Last edited by Reyzac; October 17, 2010 at 08:00 AM.