Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 30, 2010, 05:46 PM
Banned
F@H

could your highness pretty please enlighten us upon the above? like i said before, the consumer needs to know. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
You do not understand the problem. There is protection and the PSU will not die if it is overloaded. It takes a very specific set of circumstances for the PSU to fail, and the chances of that actually happening to someone, even if they do overload the PSU, is almost nonexistent, especially in North America. So again, since you do not understand what the actual problem is, you have no business criticizing the PSU based on it.
Old September 30, 2010, 07:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
You do not understand the problem. There is protection and the PSU will not die if it is overloaded. It takes a very specific set of circumstances for the PSU to fail, and the chances of that actually happening to someone, even if they do overload the PSU, is almost nonexistent, especially in North America. So again, since you do not understand what the actual problem is, you have no business criticizing the PSU based on it.
BS i've had a few in my day for transformer took a dump, no fire but a smoke show

while the protection you speak is dumb when it comes to hardware fail
Old September 30, 2010, 07:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
The question in the OP's original post was whether he should get the 750W XFX PSU or the TX750, and nobody else actually directly answered it with the correct response (that the XFX is better). That was all that I meant. I am not suggesting that your advice was unhelpful, and my comment was not even addressed to you.
Somtimes it is better to give options. And if no one answered the direct question, am I not included in that? Sorry Zero, sometimes your post then Retort gets confusing on how I should follow it.

I just merely hoped to give him better direction and confidence in the options out there.
Sometimes things are not just black and white.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 30, 2010, 07:44 PM
Top Prospect

lol ty zero for noticing that no one directly answered my question, i will be going with the xfx 750 lol i do not care for the green look, it fits the requirements and its in my budget, also ty soul for info on it , no reason to argue
Old September 30, 2010, 07:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1 View Post
lol ty zero for noticing that no one directly answered my question, i will be going with the xfx 750 lol i do not care for the green look, it fits the requirements and its in my budget, also ty soul for info on it , no reason to argue
Oh its okay mate, this is normal. Glad you made a good decision.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old September 30, 2010, 07:59 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

not to hijack the thread, but what would you guys recommend

the Corsair Professional HX750W or Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750, there like a 20-30$ difference, is it worth it or an other 750W silver/gold under 160$ shipped, the XFX 850 BE is currently 145 at NCIX witch i currently own as well in my main system, just prefer the look of the corsair for my new build :)

i plan on getting a PSU this week-end for my new build, trying to keep it under 160$ shipped(for the HX) the Gold is around 27$ more, in the long run is it worth it for the gold?

My Boinc Stats
Old September 30, 2010, 08:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patramix View Post

the Corsair Professional HX750W or Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750, there like a 20-30$ difference, is it worth it or an other 750W silver/gold under 160$ shipped, the XFX 850 BE is currently 145 at NCIX witch i currently own as well in my main system, just prefer the look of the corsair for my new build :)

i plan on getting a PSU this week-end for my new build, trying to keep it under 160$ shipped(for the HX) the Gold is around 27$ more, in the long run is it worth it?
Well, if you really want to go for the highest end for Efficency rating, then sure get the AX gold.
However the HX is a very good proven PSU and with solid Silver rating it is not far behind the AX.

IF you want to save some money on a Silver PSU, the SIlverstone Strider PLus shouldn't be overlooked.
Its very nice too.

ST

Old September 30, 2010, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Vote for AX750 - 100% modular, newer and very efficient design, 7(!!) year warranty
Old September 30, 2010, 08:22 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
could your highness pretty please enlighten us upon the above? like i said before, the consumer needs to know. :)
Honestly, I just spent several hours fighting to transplant one of my PCs into a Lanboy Air, I'm tired, and I'm not in the mood to go searching around for the forum thread somewhere else where the issue was discussed in more detail. Ask me tomorrow or the day after and I might have time to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
BS i've had a few in my day for transformer took a dump, no fire but a smoke show

while the protection you speak is dumb when it comes to hardware fail
I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. I'm trying to understand what you said, but it reads like gibberish to me. I'm not even sure anything you said has a relationship to the actual discussion in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Somtimes it is better to give options. And if no one answered the direct question, am I not included in that? Sorry Zero, sometimes your post then Retort gets confusing on how I should follow it.

I just merely hoped to give him better direction and confidence in the options out there.
Sometimes things are not just black and white.

ST
Like I said, there was nothing wrong with your recommendations or the fact that you gave them. The only thing I was pointing out was that nobody else had actually given the answer to the problem posed in the original post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patramix View Post

i plan on getting a PSU this week-end for my new build, trying to keep it under 160$ shipped(for the HX) the Gold is around 27$ more, in the long run is it worth it for the gold?
The AX750 is not worth the increase in price over the HX750, unless:
-You are a silence freak, since the AX750 uses a quieter fan and the fan does not even turn on until about 300W of load.
-You are crazy about efficiency, although the AX750 is only about 1-2% more efficient than the HX750 at any given load.
-You want the fully modular aspect of the AX750.

Unless one or more of those things is a deal breaker for you, get the HX750.
Old September 30, 2010, 09:22 PM
Banned
F@H

take your time.

once again, no love for the enermax units? sure they didnt make much of anything decent for a little while, but now they have some kikbott units