Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2010, 11:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1 View Post
Im keeping it withing my budget, but ty ...im looking for advice for which to choose...i fail to see how they are one time buys like monitors rofl
wait till your next build/upgrade, IMHO go big or stay home

like 1080p tv not cheap out an go with 720 for when you stretch your money, it shows in proformance
Old September 27, 2010, 04:47 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
wait till your next build/upgrade, IMHO go big or stay home

like 1080p tv not cheap out an go with 720 for when you stretch your money, it shows in proformance
the i5 760, gtx 460 x2 is my next build, also i do plan to overclock so i might as well go back to the 750
Old September 27, 2010, 04:59 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The PSUs Jake mentioned are the way to go. A quality 750w will more than do, with some overhead. The Corsair HX units are usually pretty efficient, which is one of the things I look for.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 27, 2010, 07:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Hardware

+1 for the Corsair psu. I would pick the 750 to allow some extra headroom, and definitely modular.
Old September 27, 2010, 09:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
The XFX and Corsair power supplies both use Seasonic internals. Therefore they're both quality PSU's..

One's I'd reccomend are:

Corsair TX750
Corsair HX 750 (modular)
Pc Power & Cooling Silencer 750W (or Mkii)
XFX 750W (modular)
Seasonic X750 (modular)
Seasonic M12D 750 (modular)
Silverstone Strider Plus 750W (modular)

You don't necessarily need single rail, although it is a personal preference of many.. myself included.

Get whatever's on sale from the list above, you'll have a great PSU..

And, are you sure you need 750W? Post your system specs, marketing claims have people thinking they require more power than they actually do... most dual video card setups can be run just fine off a quality 650W PSU, and any single card setup definitely can.
Just a few minor Corrections,

First @ Dan, the XFX units are very solid (black editions) so there is no worries if he wants to get an XFX as its an M12D which is very good.

Jake, the TX series (with the exception of the 950W) is Seasonic, but the HX750/850 are DSG Channel Well Technologies units (still amazing).

All the ones in your list are solid, and there is one suprise as well, NZXT's newest PSU the HALE90's are Superflower units that passed their JohnnyGuru Tests with flying colours.
So a NZXT unit would be a solid choice to go with as well, so long as they are HALE.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 27, 2010, 12:49 PM
Top Prospect

Hey thanks alot soul, i think im just going to go with the xfx 750 :)
Old September 27, 2010, 08:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good choice. Both would've been good choices actually, but you do get modular with XFX and a better looking casing if that floats your boat. Not sure if the TX750 has 4 PCI-E connectors though, but I know the XFX one does.
Old September 29, 2010, 07:24 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
The XFX and Corsair power supplies both use Seasonic internals.
The TX750 is made by CWT, not Seasonic. Completely different design from the (far superior) XFX PSU.

Regarding your suggestions, the PCP&C Silencer lines (including the MKII models which are actually worse than the originals) are not worthy of recommendation any more, and I would say the TX750 is not either, given that it is an old inefficient design and nowadays it's not hard to find better PSUs that are priced similarly or even lower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
the xfx doesnt have top end protection, from what i remember on a few discussions for it here.
It does have protection. The 850W model has a minor design flaw where in a specific and unlikely scenario the protection may not trigger soon enough and the PSU will fail, but the chances of someone actually encountering that flaw are basically zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Jake, the TX series (with the exception of the 950W) is Seasonic, but the HX750/850 are DSG Channel Well Technologies units (still amazing).
The only Seasonic-made TX PSU is the TX650. All the other ones are made by CWT.

To answer the OP's original question (which so far, nobody in this thread has been able to successfully do), the better choice out of those two PSUs is the XFX. It is much more efficient, has more power available through its +12V rail, is modular, uses a newer design, and performs better in just about every aspect.
Old September 29, 2010, 09:30 PM
MVP

I have the XFX modular power supply, which is a Seasonic. I wish I had waited to get the Seasonic X series though (for the gold rating!). I bought it when it wasn't out. Nonetheless, they're ******* great!
Seasonic power supplies all the way. Don't even have to bother looking for other brands.
Old September 30, 2010, 09:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The TX750 is made by CWT, not Seasonic. Completely different design from the (far superior) XFX PSU.

Regarding your suggestions, the PCP&C Silencer lines (including the MKII models which are actually worse than the originals) are not worthy of recommendation any more, and I would say the TX750 is not either, given that it is an old inefficient design and nowadays it's not hard to find better PSUs that are priced similarly or even lower.

It does have protection. The 850W model has a minor design flaw where in a specific and unlikely scenario the protection may not trigger soon enough and the PSU will fail, but the chances of someone actually encountering that flaw are basically zero.

The only Seasonic-made TX PSU is the TX650. All the other ones are made by CWT.

To answer the OP's original question (which so far, nobody in this thread has been able to successfully do), the better choice out of those two PSUs is the XFX. It is much more efficient, has more power available through its +12V rail, is modular, uses a newer design, and performs better in just about every aspect.
Actually I did add points in my Post Zero to help him decide, and he obviously saw it which is why he posted 'thanks soul'.
I imagine you missed that part.

Thank you for the correction, I should have double checked on the OEM's as I get mixed up (always happens, I don't feign perfection) when PSU suppliers use multiple OEM's. I.e. Seasonic I believe on the HX650 but CWT on the ones above it. etc etc.

You are right, though PCP is no longer a valid one, but NZXT HALE is now IMO. I'd love to try one out.

Anywho, I think we all helped in our own way.

@ YoungMan - There are lots of reasons to look at other Quality PSU's. As one might fit the budget better or one might have the wattage requirement you need etc. There are lots of quality OEM's besides Seasonic that are doing a very good job out there. Though yes, Seasonic is one of the best.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com