Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2010, 07:52 AM
Rookie

Question How should I add some extra molex?

Hello :)
I have a problem and I could use some advice on how to proceed:

My PSU has 3 molex connectors in one cable and 3 SATA connectors in another. All of my hardware however uses molex to SATA connectors are pretty much worthless to me.
I have 5 devices that need to draw power from the PSU: an ATI 3650 agp (requires molex), two PATA hard disks, one dvdrw and one dvdrom.
So I need a way to connect them all to the PSU, I think I only have two options:

1) Use Y-cables to split the existing molex into more: I could do that, but in that case all the devices would draw power from just one cable. I'm afraid the cable won't be able to deliver so much power without overheating. Plus I'm not sure if the PSU will be able to cope with the load required when I start the PC, when all components draw more power that at an idle state.

2) Convert the SATA connectors into molex and use these to power the optical drives and one of the HDDs: This sounds easier to implement and would require less power going through the cable (since the load is distributed across the molex and the sata cable).

Which one of the two cases would be the best option?

PS: My PSU has two +12V rails, 18A each, with a combined load of 360W (PSU is 400W). Not sure if each of the cables is on a separate rail. I only mention this cause it might help someone more knowledgeable than me answer my question better.
Old September 27, 2010, 12:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

option 2 but whats the total hardware load? excede psu rating?
Old September 27, 2010, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

I dont think it matters honestly. the PSU can handle an overload for the split second the extra draw is required.
Old September 27, 2010, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What PSU are you using?
Old September 27, 2010, 09:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
option 2 but whats the total hardware load? excede psu rating?
The maximum hardware load should be less than 300W at 100% load, so no it does not exceed the maximum PSU rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
What PSU are you using?
a Chieftec A-135 series 400W (APS-400S)
Old September 28, 2010, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's a decent enough PSU by the looks of it, so I personally would go with Y splitters on the molex.
Old September 28, 2010, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

if you can run a soldering iron just cut the sata cable off, and find a POS old PSU, cut the cable off that and solder it onto the cable that used to be sata on the new one. you wont have to worry about loads because there wont be any "extra" connections

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old September 29, 2010, 08:08 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Overloading the cables isn't really a concern with the amount of load that you'll be dealing with. The best thing to do would be to chop off some existing SATA connectors and replace them with molex connectors like Tzetsin suggested, but if you can't do that then using molex splitters will be fine.