Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   Corsair PSU Noise (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/36204-corsair-psu-noise.html)

Astaroth September 13, 2010 10:09 PM

Corsair PSU Noise

I've a Corsair 750 TX and while the computers runs it will emit a noise that can be best described as a "Ringing in your ear sound". I've found Youtube videos of people with same issue. It's quite surreal hearing the noise from my PSU and the youtube playback at the same time. Is there any way to fix this issue? RMA and hope I don't get one as noisy? I've freakish hearing and it's somehow normal?

CroSsFiRe2009 September 13, 2010 10:20 PM

That high pitched whine is coil noise. Short of RMA or actually trying to dampen the coils by using nail polish or hot glue, your best option is to try and distribute your parts across all the connectors. Not sure if my results with my own 450vx were skewed or just plain wrong but it was squealing like crazy while folding with a 470, switched one of the molex to 6pin adapters to the other molex 'branch' and the noise went away. However at the same time, I started getting new WU's so that might've been the actual solution. If anything, you'll find that downclocking your gpu will change the type/amount of squeal and hopefully make it more manageable.

TL:dr, suck it up and live with it or get a new psu:P

rjbarker September 13, 2010 10:33 PM

Common unfortunately....unacceptable....contact "Ramguy" Corsair Forums and set-up an RMA...

enaberif September 13, 2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 (Post 428588)
That high pitched whine is coil noise. Short of RMA or actually trying to dampen the coils by using nail polish or hot glue, your best option is to try and distribute your parts across all the connectors. Not sure if my results with my own 450vx were skewed or just plain wrong but it was squealing like crazy while folding with a 470, switched one of the molex to 6pin adapters to the other molex 'branch' and the noise went away. However at the same time, I started getting new WU's so that might've been the actual solution. If anything, you'll find that downclocking your gpu will change the type/amount of squeal and hopefully make it more manageable.

I hate those adapters and will never use em.

If you need to use em.. get a new PSU.

rjbarker September 13, 2010 11:24 PM

Yeah 'm kicking myself going with AX 1.2 kW.....better not be any "whine"...otherwise it will be going back to NCIX for a ST 1.5 kW.......hope its as silent as my HX 1 kW...fingers crossed !!!

Astaroth September 18, 2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 (Post 428588)
try and distribute your parts across all the connectors.

My addition of a second graphics card has successfully stopped the noise. :thumb:

rjbarker September 19, 2010 10:35 PM

Lots of testing going on at my place....some GPU Vantage runs with very high GPU (480) OC's and a ton of CPU Stability testing (P95 and LinX)....still no "whine" or "squeeling racket" coming from my AX...maybe I got a good one ;) "looking for wood to knock on"

CptBen February 28, 2011 07:22 PM

rma for a replacement

tragd March 2, 2011 11:41 PM

lots of my seasonic and corsair psus have whined. even exchanges have solved nothing.
currently using a ax750 which is better than my previous 2 ax750s - one ax750 which had a problem turning off. still has its bad days though...

same with my m12d 850w units from seasonic

i personally probably wouldn't really purchase more seasonic or corsair psus. the hassle was enormous to rma (though ncix did a great job :D)