Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   need PSU suggestions, current PSU isnt cutting it (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/3600-need-psu-suggestions-current-psu-isnt-cutting.html)

Rains December 8, 2007 01:20 AM

need PSU suggestions, current PSU isnt cutting it

I came to know of these boards through NCIX and i decided i'd join up as it seems there are some very helpful and knowledgeable people around here, so I'm hoping someone can help me out a bit

Lately I've noticed my 600 watt OCZ GameXStream PSU has been dying on me during heavy loads or intense gaming, so it seems i need to upgrade, i guess i'm just not getting enough power, or, it's something else, i'm unsure, m aybe someone has a magic answer, but i certainly don't know :doh:

I'm just looking for suggestions on a new psu, 600 watts isn;t seeming to cut it (might just be the psu) so im guessing 700+. I've looked around at a million different ones but cant quite seem to make a decision. I've also read a million reviews and I just cant seem to put my finger on the right one. I want something for now and slight future upgradability. Something i can use for a while and can handle 2 8800gtx's in Sli(i only run 1 8800gtx now, but you never know:biggrin:), a bunch of hard drives, 6-10 fans, 4 gigs of ram etc etc. I ideally want a **modular** PSU, but its not mandatory, though i'd much prefer one, a lot easier to work with in my opinion but also more expensive it seems.

I tend to do a lot of OCing so perhaps thats whats messing with my psu, either that or its just dying on me. Either way i believe an upgrade is in order but i may very well be wrong :ph34r:

looking at a sub $200 price range.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot! - Rains

my system specs:
ASUS P5N32-E SLi 680i mobo
e6400 Oc'd @3.2 ghz
BFG 8800 GTX
4 gigs of crucial ballistix 8500 ram
Soundblaster X-Fi
500, 320, 160 WD harddrives
OCZ 600watt GameXStream powersupply
Antec 900 Case
8x 120mm fans
1x250mm fan

Digitaldemon December 8, 2007 02:50 AM

well there is th is at ncix, i have a pref for ocz and pcp&c.

NCIX.com - Buy OCZ GameXStream 850W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fans - OCZ850GXSSLI In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad 750W ATX V2.2 EPS12V 24PIN SLI Active PFC Power Supply Black - S75QB In Canada.

AkG December 8, 2007 05:16 AM

How important is noise levels to you? PCP&P are very good products BUT they can be loud. A good place to start is with the reviews SKYMTL has done on power supplies.

Hardware Canucks - power supplies

The new corsair 750 looks very interesting (and is only 154 on sale w/ 30 dollar Mail in Rebate). Heres the sale link:

NCIX.com - Buy Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan - TX750W In Canada.

If your budget can stretrch to $205, you should also take a look at Silverstone 750 modular power supply.

NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Decathlon DA750 750W 20/24 Pin Power Supply ATX / EPS12V Active PFC 120MM Fan 8PIN PCI-E - DA750 In Canada.

Hope this helps,
AkG

Mars December 8, 2007 05:35 AM

NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Zeus ST75ZF 750W ATX12V 24PIN Power Supply W/80MM Fan Active PFC Quad SLI Certified - SST-ST75ZF In Canada.

Awesome build quality.

edit: Should probably read the entire original post, this one isn't modular, so probably go with other suggestions from this thread.

SKYMTL December 8, 2007 05:50 AM

I am going to go out on a limb here and once again suggest the Gigabyte Odin Pro 800W for your build. It suits your needs PERFECTLY; modular, great performance, outstanding build quality, long cables, quiet etc.

NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte Odin Pro 800W Power Supply ATX V2.2 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC 80PLUS Modular 140MM LED Fan - GE-M800A-D1 In Canada.

Rains December 9, 2007 01:40 AM

thanks guys :)

thanks a lot for all your suggestiongs guys, and SKYMTL i was actually considering that Gigabyte Odin until i managed to find a Silverstone decathlon 750w for actually quite a bit less $$, full modular and on the 8800GTX sli certified list(not that it matters, but piece of mind i guess), with tax and shipping it comes to around what the gigabyte costs before tax and shipping, so i figure, ive heard awesome things about the silverstone DA750 and that gigabyte one would cost more and I haven't seen many reviews or tests regarding it,so im still not sure about it. Also all i've heard is good things about the Decathlon 750w so i think im gonna pick it up!

its either the decathlon 750w or the antec truepower quattro 850 watt, I like the extra power of the 850 watt, but i dont like the way its setup cable wise and its ugly as sin, not that looks really matter but i can get them for almost the same price so i dunno lol

unless theres something i need to know about those silverstone psus or some other strange factor i should know about, i think im rolling silverstone, i just like its design more and i heard its rock solid, whish is what im lookin for!

otherwise im still open to suggestions or comments!

anyways, thanks again everyone!

llama_egg December 9, 2007 03:03 AM

Haven't payed that much attention to the decathlon truthfully, but the quattro is amazing piece of psu. Also, there is a comparison review of both PSU's on this site, you should check it out! I managed to pick my Quattro of SKYMTL, and was worth every cent! As for it being ugly, it actually looks alot better in person (when I saw pictures of it, I hated it, but when I got it in I was surprised at how tastefully done it is), and for the most part, you won't even see the racing stripes, so it's all good. As for cables, I personally have had no troubles with it at all, actually, other then it was annoying as hell to fit in my 3D Aurora as the screw holes didn't match up perfectly (it really took some pushing to get that thing in) I've had no problems with the PSU at all.

But in the end, they are both good PSU's to get your hand on (there was if I remember right a .5 score difference between the two?), and in the end it all depends on your preference :haha:

Agh, could I say PSU more often through this post?

SKYMTL December 9, 2007 06:58 AM

In all reality, I was not going to suggest the Quattro. The only reson I sold mine was because I KNEW that it worked on 8800-series cards.

Can I ask where you found a DA750 for a lower price than the Odin?

calvary1980 December 10, 2007 01:34 PM

Fortron 800W Power Supply

my personal favorite, Fortron is an old company and makes very sturdy power supplies.

- Christine

jonnyGURU December 10, 2007 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rains (Post 29467)
thanks a lot for all your suggestiongs guys, and SKYMTL i was actually considering that Gigabyte Odin until i managed to find a Silverstone decathlon 750w for actually quite a bit less $$

Cheers on getting the Decathlon, although it's typically cheaper because you do get what you pay for. I still think the CWT build of the Gigabyte is better quality than the Impervio built SilverStone. Just my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvary1980 (Post 29635)
Fortron 800W Power Supply

my personal favorite, Fortron is an old company that used to make very sturdy power supplies.

The Fortron Epslion/Everest 800W is rated at 25C with a de-rating curve of --10W/+1C. In other words, at 40C, you're only getting a 650W, never mind that at 650W and up you get out of spec ripple+noise at ANY temperature. Considering you can get good 650W rated at 40 or 50C for less money, I'll pass.