Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2010, 12:44 AM
Rookie

Default PSU-related GPU issue?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and pretty ignorant when it comes to PSU & graphics cards issues...

Recently, I bought a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 video card to install in my system with the following specs:

MoBo & CPU: Acer Inspire M5810 with i7 860 @ 2.8GHz
GPU: (to be replaced by the HD5850): NVidia GeForce GT220 1GB
RAM: 6GB DDR3
HD: 2x 750GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
DVDRW: Atapi DH-16AASH
PSU: FSP450-60EP at 450W max and 500W peak, with the following stats (I just read those from the power unit's side, don't know their meaning)
+3.3V: 16A
+5V: 20A
+12V1: 18A
+12V2: 18A
+5Vsb: 2.5A
-12V: 0.5A

After plugging in my new graphics card into the MoBo and connecting it to the power bus, the system won't start and the MoBo generates a sound message indicating that 'The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen'. (the same sound as when no video card is plugged in) The VGA card's fan is working.

My guess would be that my current PSU might be underpowered to take on the new VGA card, but I'm really not sure. Based on the specs above, would you think the problem could be power-related, or is there something else that I am missing?

If the problem is indeed due to insufficient power, which PSU (brand, power level) would you recommend? I have no real budget constraint, I just would like to make sure my new graphics card runs smoothly. I suppose it also couldn't hurt to have some additional power available as a buffer or for future additions.

Appreciate any help!
Thanks & cheers,

Moss
Old August 30, 2010, 02:54 AM
Banned
F@H

http://www.fsp-power.ru/report/FSP450-60EP.pdf

ȫ FSP 450-60EP (80PLUS*) Դ_ԶƼ-ܼShow_ٶȿռ

doesnt seem to be a bad unit, although lets find out how much it can provide on the 12v.actually the rating would be 360 watts on said 12v.

the videocard at max it should eat around 150 watts
so theoretically you are ok. but i mthinking your system is eating more than the psu can handle, or it cant do advertised numbers.

i would look into antec earthwatts 500 watts or corsair 620 watts.

'power bus'

you did connect the pci-e power cables right?

edit

FSP >> PC Power Supply >> ATX 12V ver.2.3 >> EPN(80),Bronze

Operating conditions:
ambient temperature 0C~25C

they probably did the tests at 25c. if your ambient temp in there is 40 or more celsius, its a whole different story

if you were to have a kill a watt, it would be nice to see what it pulls at the wall
Old August 30, 2010, 11:24 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss Orleni View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and pretty ignorant when it comes to PSU & graphics cards issues...

Recently, I bought a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 video card to install in my system with the following specs:

MoBo & CPU: Acer Inspire M5810 with i7 860 @ 2.8GHz
GPU: (to be replaced by the HD5850): NVidia GeForce GT220 1GB
RAM: 6GB DDR3
HD: 2x 750GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
DVDRW: Atapi DH-16AASH
PSU: FSP450-60EP at 450W max and 500W peak, with the following stats (I just read those from the power unit's side, don't know their meaning)
+3.3V: 16A
+5V: 20A
+12V1: 18A
+12V2: 18A
+5Vsb: 2.5A
-12V: 0.5A

After plugging in my new graphics card into the MoBo and connecting it to the power bus, the system won't start and the MoBo generates a sound message indicating that 'The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen'. (the same sound as when no video card is plugged in) The VGA card's fan is working.

My guess would be that my current PSU might be underpowered to take on the new VGA card, but I'm really not sure. Based on the specs above, would you think the problem could be power-related, or is there something else that I am missing?

If the problem is indeed due to insufficient power, which PSU (brand, power level) would you recommend? I have no real budget constraint, I just would like to make sure my new graphics card runs smoothly. I suppose it also couldn't hurt to have some additional power available as a buffer or for future additions.

Appreciate any help!
Thanks & cheers,

Moss
Your graphics card has two 6-pin auxiliary PCI-Express power sockets on the trailing edge of the card. They are located in one of the two rectangular vents at the rear of the heatsink shroud. Both of those sockets must have connectors installed. I don't know if your PSU has the required connectors, but the video card should have come with two molex to PCI-E adapters that you can use. If you haven't installed those, then do so now.

Your PSU should be enough to power your system along with the video card. However, it's a lower-end unit and it's possible that it has degraded to the point where it isn't able to any more. If after connecting the PCI-E power cables you are still having issues, I can give you some PSU recommendations, but I'll need to know your location and budget first.
Old August 30, 2010, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Look at the two 6 pin a the rear of the card. If you need tu use the molex to 6 pin adapter then I would look into a new PSU. Molex work but if your PSU is aging or cheap or anything like that they are not the best way to go. We also see very often HP ACER GATEWAY and other pre-build system that won't accept some new component because they are cheap. It can also happen with some retail part like a cheap P55 board I won't name here have a issue with a 5850. We saw it few time at job before figuring it out and changing the product to clear the issue.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 31, 2010, 02:41 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all the advice!
Problem solved: it didn't use the correct connectors. The card indeed came with two PCI-e to molex connectors. I assumed that this meant they should be used. But the only molex connector available was the one at the end of the power bus supplying the HDs and DVDRW. After re-examining, I found that my PSU already has 2 6-pins connectors needed to power the graphics card.

So no need to buy a new PSU... being ignorant and being cheap is definitely a losing combination .
Anyway,thx again for taking time to answer what must be pretty noob questions...

Cheers,

Moss
Old August 31, 2010, 09:56 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Glad you got it all working.
Old August 31, 2010, 12:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Glad for you! Enjoy the beast!!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||