Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2010, 06:30 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
i strongly suggest you do a proper jobbe with the humping, err,jumping of the psu. decent gauge wire, put a dab of glue or electrical tape to keep it secure. i speak from experience
I just used a grounding wire for months on one of my systems. Although even if i powered off the main machine I never shut the secondary power supply off.
Old August 30, 2010, 07:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
Quick update, it all works! =D Attached a hard drive to the ocz psu that was dedicated to the 2nd video card and the rest was connected to the corsair. Powered up the video card/ocz psu using a paperclip and then the rest of the system without a hitch.
Good to hear, although you wouldn't happen to have a multimeter, would you? Wouldn't hurt to get a quick voltage measurement on a spare connector, just to make sure. That way, if you see something way out of whack, you can adjust things before any damage can occur.
Old August 30, 2010, 09:05 PM
Banned
F@H

well it is, you need a fat one to stick i nthere so it doesnt have room to wiggle, and of course youll have to make sure it never moves again.

@ lowfat. what kind of load did it have? no load=bad.
Old October 5, 2010, 05:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default second psu or vga booster?

I was just about to start a new thread, but this is close to the situation I am in.

I don't think the specifics are necessary - let me know.

I have a maxed out Seasonic 500W PSU. It's driving 2 video cards (not is sli or crossfire - just using them for 3 monitors), 6 HDs, and X4 635 and about 5 fans.

I want to split the load between the above PSU and either a 400w VGA booster powering both video cards, or a second 400W PSU.

If the current Seasonic above isn't powering either video card, does that mean that it has more power for the other components? Or will is the "video power" totally separate from the "molex/sata/mb power".

Basically, is it better to split the load between 2 psu's - each handling a few hds and 1 video card? Or does it matter?

rsvp
mike
ps - I don't care about having to power on 2 psu's. I'm already making plans to use an old case in ADDITION to my antec 600 PoS.
pps - Is it ok to have video cards and non-booting hds running before the system starts up off the second psu?
ppps - here is a pic of the psu I am maxing out:
Old October 5, 2010, 05:24 PM
Banned
F@H

specs please, the old girl might do fine. close to 400 watts on the 12v is plenty unless you want to run dual fermis(gf100)
Old October 5, 2010, 06:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
specs please, the old girl might do fine. close to 400 watts on the 12v is plenty unless you want to run dual fermis(gf100)
asus M4A79XTD EVO
amd x4 635 w/ stock hsf
2x2gb kingston ddr3 1066
5 7200 rpm hds (2 80s in raid 0, 2 500gb, 1 1 tb)
3 x 120mm case fans
1 x 200mm case fan
evga 9800 GT
bfg 8800 gt oc2
usb 2 pci card (occasionally has a bus powered hd plugged in)
seasonic psu in photo above (it's been a workhorse for the last 5 years and 3 rigs)
win 7 ult.

will be getting - 3rd party hsf for OC from 2.9 to ~3.4
2x2gb more ram
3 port pci sata card (just a cheap one)

i *think that covers it*
thanks
mike

other "bonus" issues besides not wanting to overtax the psu :

1) the dvd burner and one 500gb hd are IDE, but i can't get the computer to see both - it's an either or proposition - i've tried different cables, MS-SL, and CS.
2) hot swapped sata/usb/ram drives aren't given a drive letter - I have to manually assign in disk management - really annoying
3) firewire doesn't work - i've tried changing the drivers to legacy - nothing recognized.
4) the 8800 gt oc2 can only be used for 2d - it idles at 78 deg C, and goes over 105 in games - and that is with the fan at 100%. should I take it apart and replace the thermal compound?

5) i don't know how I'm supposed to manage cables in this antec 600. bottom mounted psu + 2 *single slot* gpus + ide make it a nightmare. 6 hds + optical + fans make it worse.
Old October 5, 2010, 06:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

this is pretty cool:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/y...M7Td6o6BRbnZHO
Old October 5, 2010, 08:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
1) the dvd burner and one 500gb hd are IDE, but i can't get the computer to see both - it's an either or proposition - i've tried different cables, MS-SL, and CS.
2) hot swapped sata/usb/ram drives aren't given a drive letter - I have to manually assign in disk management - really annoying
3) firewire doesn't work - i've tried changing the drivers to legacy - nothing recognized.
4) the 8800 gt oc2 can only be used for 2d - it idles at 78 deg C, and goes over 105 in games - and that is with the fan at 100%. should I take it apart and replace the thermal compound?
You've double-checked that you're running a recent BIOS on the motherboard? A lot of those issues sound like alpha/beta issues when new motherboard/chipset first hits the market.

For a while, Nvidia had some issues with their core IHS's not making contact with the actual chip, but I'd always thought that was limited to the 260/280 series cards. Still, might be an issue. But yeah, I'd change the compound to make sure.

The 12V power you get from the PSU is sent everywhere (albeit, on two different rails for that PSU), be it to the motherboard, PCI-E, or the molex/SATA connectors. And even if you add another PSU, the Seasonic will still be providing some power to the cards through the motherboard's PCI-E slots - the second PSU would only be supplying what comes in through the PCI-E plugs.
Old October 5, 2010, 09:07 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Q: Is it ok to have video cards and non-booting hds running before the system starts up off the second psu?

From my experience it has been perfectly fine, I ran a dual power supply setup on my folding rig for a few months. One GFX card and 2 HDDs on one PSU paper clipped on the green wire and a ground pin, with the rest of the system on another PSU and it worked fine. Just flipped the switch on the PSU on before booting the system.

and for the IDE issues, have you tried with the HDD on the first connector closest to the motherboard header with its jumper set to master and the optical jumpered to slave? It is also possible that its just a poor IDE controller on your mother board and as mentioned a update may be required.
Personally I've found IDE something to be avoided when possible, its a nightmare for cable management and would be on my short list for upgrade since you should have spare sata ports on that board.
Old October 5, 2010, 09:50 PM
Banned
F@H

without any uber clocking youre fine