Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2010, 03:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Can this work?

Hey hwc community! Anyways to the point, i got a free computer for my father who is in dire need of it. Bad part is that the owner misplaced that cord that connects the PSU to the outlet. My dad's old computer (Its a old dell desktop) and i thought if i could use that PSU's cord for the new computer. It sounds ghetto but i don't think CC or anywhere near me sells them separately.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old August 23, 2010, 03:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, you can use the old cord. I do it all the time replacing computers in offices, rather than lift desks to thread the new power cable.
Old August 23, 2010, 03:51 PM
Banned
F@H

usually yes, depends on the condition of the cord, and what it was made to handle. a puny '1/x th' of an inch across wont hold much,warm up,etc.

i have some old school computer/printer power cords, these things are beasts, almost banana thick.
Old August 23, 2010, 04:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I actually remember using a kettle cord to power a monitor back in my dorm days. Hahaha man that thing burnt and smelt like crap lol.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"