Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2010, 11:16 PM
Rookie

Corsair have just released a new model to their much loved psu range

The AX series now includes a 1200 watt module which will be a welcome addition with new gpu's which are constantly requiring more and more juice. They are rated at 90 percent efficient at 50% load giving it a 80 plus gold certification. Another nice addition is that these like the Silverstone strider and its main manufacturer Seasonic models feature a fully modular setup.

along with the 1200 model a 850 and 740 wattage models will also be available.
Old August 20, 2010, 08:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeleonard20 View Post
Corsair have just released a new model to their much loved psu range

The AX series now includes a 1200 watt module which will be a welcome addition with new gpu's which are constantly requiring more and more juice. They are rated at 90 percent efficient at 50% load giving it a 80 plus gold certification. Another nice addition is that these like the Silverstone strider and its main manufacturer Seasonic models feature a fully modular setup.

along with the 1200 model a 850 and 740 wattage models will also be available.
??? We already know, hence the first page of this entire thread... Also, the Corsair AX1200 is not Seasonic based.
Old August 24, 2010, 11:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Great price right now at DC for the AX 1.2kW $277

May jump on this.... ;)

http://www.directcanada.com/products...acture=CORSAIR

Old August 25, 2010, 03:49 PM
Allstar

I just got my AX 1200w and it is amazingly quiet if anyone cares. This is definitely the king of the hill PSU for a few hours at least. Lol
Old August 26, 2010, 06:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Im still waiting for Antec's High Current Pro and Enermax's Revolution 87+ before going for a Gold rated PSU.
Old August 26, 2010, 09:15 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
Im still waiting for Antec's High Current Pro and Enermax's Revolution 87+ before going for a Gold rated PSU.
Have fun with that. I don't see a point in waiting when there's already a decent selection of very good Gold-rated units on the market. True, you might not have the best PSU ever, but as long as your hardware is getting reasonably good power it's not like that makes a difference anyhow.
Old August 27, 2010, 01:46 AM
Rookie

Some people across the net seem to be laying some hate on the AX750/850 because they have less tight voltage regulation than, say the HX750/850. From my observations, CWT has always had better voltage regulation than Seasonic, but frankly, I don't see why it's should make them lesser PSUs. I am very happy with my Seasonics and the Seasonic made Corsairs I've had. Ok, you pay lots of money for the AX series, but it's not like your rig is going to explode because the 12V deflected a bit more than usual. Just my .02$.
Old August 27, 2010, 10:57 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
Some people across the net seem to be laying some hate on the AX750/850 because they have less tight voltage regulation than, say the HX750/850. From my observations, CWT has always had better voltage regulation than Seasonic, but frankly, I don't see why it's should make them lesser PSUs. I am very happy with my Seasonics and the Seasonic made Corsairs I've had. Ok, you pay lots of money for the AX series, but it's not like your rig is going to explode because the 12V deflected a bit more than usual. Just my .02$.
check out johhny gurus review.

The only thing I see wrong is 1200w on a single 12 volt rail is well... a lot. 100 amps on 1 rail is pretty insane.
Old August 27, 2010, 07:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Have fun with that. I don't see a point in waiting when there's already a decent selection of very good Gold-rated units on the market. True, you might not have the best PSU ever, but as long as your hardware is getting reasonably good power it's not like that makes a difference anyhow.
I will have fun with it . Im planning on getting two gtx 470's plus with overclocking I will need to get at least a 1000W unit. The HX1000 is too old, the AX1200 is too much. I also prefer multi-rail psu's (just my preference). So right now I don't really need to upgrade, but later I will.
Old August 27, 2010, 09:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Then your wasting your $$$$ my friend...

Quote:
Im planning on getting two gtx 470's plus with overclocking I will need to get at least a 1000W unit.
Not all....hell a decent 800W is enough for a couple of 470's (no homework done here)
Quote:
The HX1000 is too old,
Thats a kick....too funny really...what is it too old for ?

.my HX 1kW runs the Rig in my Sig just fine and is all you really need for an I7 @ 4.2 Ghz and Sli 480's.......certainly not needed for Sli 470's.......with your Sli 470's a decent 850W is more than suffice. Hell the AX 1.2 kW is for running an OC'd I7 and Tri Sli 480's.....