Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2010, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Power Distribution S12II 500w

Question for all those who may have more info than me.

I have a Seasonic S12II 500w, which has 2 12v rails (17A each and total 408w for both). I cannot find in any reviews anywhere what the power distribution is for my PSU (what connectors go to which virtual rail). Anyone have any info on this? I could easily make an educated guess on what it likely is, but I am looking for facts of which connector goes to which rail. Details from one of the lower wattage s12II models or OEM SS models may help, since the rails are rated the same, but with less total wattage and there are fewer connectors, or just an OEM design of the same PSU.

Help anyone?
Old July 29, 2010, 04:28 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I'm quite sure that PSU is actually a single-rail unit.
Old July 29, 2010, 05:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I'm quite sure that PSU is actually a single-rail unit.
I have heard that before, and I know there are many other PSU on the same platform that are single rail (400cx, 450vx come to mind). That said the label and manual very clearly say multi-rail and any reviews I have found say multi-rail (though I know the new s12II 520w is labeled as multi-rail and is actually a single rail from a review I read). Seems it is "supposedly" virtual rails for OCP. Is there any way to tell from a picture (LINK TO INTERNAL PICS) if there are 2 virtual rails (that's an area of a PSU I am not at all familiar with and am not sure what components provide OCP)? This anandtech review shows different voltage stability on the 2 rails as well.
Old July 29, 2010, 05:55 PM
Banned
F@H

seasonic S12-II PCSTATS Review - Polymer Aluminum Capacitor Inside the S12 II

Seasonic utilize one conductive polymer aluminum solid capacitor for the 12V rail on the S12 II

no idea on distribution. maybe seasonic themselves could answer it, or look for a pdf? :)
Old July 29, 2010, 06:14 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
I have heard that before, and I know there are many other PSU on the same platform that are single rail (400cx, 450vx come to mind). That said the label and manual very clearly say multi-rail and any reviews I have found say multi-rail (though I know the new s12II 520w is labeled as multi-rail and is actually a single rail from a review I read). Seems it is "supposedly" virtual rails for OCP. Is there any way to tell from a picture (LINK TO INTERNAL PICS) if there are 2 virtual rails (that's an area of a PSU I am not at all familiar with and am not sure what components provide OCP)? This anandtech review shows different voltage stability on the 2 rails as well.
I didn't see any pictures of the underside, so there's no way to really tell. However, I haven't seen any lower-power Seasonic units with actual multiple rails. They used to list their PSUs as having multiple rails to comply with the 240VA per rail limit that used to be part of the ATX specification, but they never really used OCP.

In any case, even if it is a multi-rail PSU (and I'm 95% sure it isn't), the rail distribution isn't something you need to worry about.
Old July 29, 2010, 06:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yeah you don't need to worry about rail distribution.
Old July 29, 2010, 06:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I didn't see any pictures of the underside, so there's no way to really tell. However, I haven't seen any lower-power Seasonic units with actual multiple rails. They used to list their PSUs as having multiple rails to comply with the 240VA per rail limit that used to be part of the ATX specification, but they never really used OCP.
Thank you. That could very well be the answer I was looking for. I am not worried about the distribution at all (especially given my current setup), but I like to know how my stuff works (and I didn't know anything about these supposed rails). I am also nearly positive it is a single actual rail, but just wasn't sure about the whole virtual rail possibility.
Old July 29, 2010, 06:32 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Thank you. That could very well be the answer I was looking for. I am not worried about the distribution at all (especially given my current setup), but I like to know how my stuff works (and I didn't know anything about these supposed rails). I am also nearly positive it is a single actual rail, but just wasn't sure about the whole virtual rail possibility.
PS: 95% of multiple-rail PSUs out there have "virtual" rails. Virtual rails are just single rails split up through OCP, while some PSUs actually derive different rails from multiple outputs (like the Corsair HX1000 for example).