Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   Will an EPS12V (8pin) plug in to a ATX12V (4pin)? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/34235-will-eps12v-8pin-plug-atx12v-4pin.html)

lowfat July 15, 2010 01:07 PM

Will an EPS12V (8pin) plug in to a ATX12V (4pin)?
 
I just ordered a motherboard that only has an an 4pin ATX12V connector. Now the power supply I will be using only has an 8pin EPS12V connector. I am pretty sure I cut the 4pin off and I can't find it to solder it back on :rofl:. Can I just plug the EPS connector on the ATX12V connector and just have 4 pins hanging off the side?

shaw July 15, 2010 01:44 PM

Usually it's a 4+4 pins connector, and having half of it on the side is not a problem. Did this many times.

lowfat July 15, 2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaw (Post 403806)
Usually it's a 4+4 pins connector, and having half of it on the side is not a problem. Did this many times.

Mine had an 8pin then a 4pin coming off of it. Hopefully the board has enough clearance to have the extra 4pins hanging off the side. http://smiliesftw.com/x/fingersx.gif

_dangtx_ July 15, 2010 02:08 PM

if it doesnt split ? no

which mobo and which psu? some psus have both 8 pins and 4 pins, separate. love that feature, even tough it adds to the cable management thingie lol

lowfat July 15, 2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 403814)
if it doesnt split ? no

which mobo and which psu? some psus have both 8 pins and 4 pins, separate. love that feature, even tough it adds to the cable management thingie lol

Motherboard is an eVGA H55V. And like I said before I cut the 4pin off and have misplaced it. So either it hangs off the edge of the ATX12V connector on the motherboard or I have to order up some parts to make an adapter.

_dangtx_ July 15, 2010 02:41 PM

you got to upload us a pic pretty plz

lowfat July 15, 2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 403833)
you got to upload us a pic pretty plz

A pic of what? My power supply only has an EPS12V 8-pin. Motherboard has a ATX12V 4-pin. Nothing non-standard. I just don't want to order supplies from the internet to make a EPS12V 8-pin to ATX12V 4-pin.

MpG July 15, 2010 03:20 PM

As long as you have the clearance, you shouldn't need to make an adapter, since the 4 and 8 pin's share a common pinout for the 4-pin part. Just make sure there's nothing that manages to reach up into the unused half of the 8-pin. Any possibility of using an exacto knife or something to cut the 8-pin in half? Some of them have the material to let you get away with it.

lowfat July 15, 2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MpG (Post 403844)
As long as you have the clearance, you shouldn't need to make an adapter, since the 4 and 8 pin's share a common pinout for the 4-pin part. Just make sure there's nothing that manages to reach up into the unused half of the 8-pin. Any possibility of using an exacto knife or something to cut the 8-pin in half? Some of them have the material to let you get away with it.

I'd rather not cut it and ruin it. Chances are the next board I buy will be back to an 8-pin.

_dangtx_ July 15, 2010 04:20 PM

allright. adapter is the way then


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:41 AM.