Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2010, 09:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Mount PSU fan - Up Vs Down

Hi guys,

Just curious what way other ppl prefer to mount there PSU's

Either with the fan facing inside the case VS mounted facing down at the air intake vents on the floor or roof of the case

I know the temp reviews for each way are very close and it really doesnt make too much of an impact but just out of interest what do you guys prefer?

I have a HAF 932 and Corsair HX750 and i mount mine with the fan facing the floor of the case so the PSU can access fresher outside air than whats in the case (not much point as the HAF 932 already is extremely ventilated)

Also do you feel in any way the slotted floor (or air holes in case floor) are not high flowing enough for the larger fans on some PSU's to get enough air

Cheers

Mike
Old July 8, 2010, 09:33 PM
Banned
F@H

i like the psu down as long as air coming in is filtred.. IF you have good exaust at top. what people dont realize, with traditional boxes the psu itself sucks and expels hot air coming fro mcpu,etc. up there.

sometimes,even on a good psu, when placed inside a big case you run into issues with cable lenghts

and also, if you drop your psu one inch, it shouldnt affect anything, whereas before it would kill maybe cpu, video card,etc in the way
Old July 9, 2010, 03:42 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

If the case has a vent underneath the PSU mount, then you should mount the PSU with the fan facing downwards. The exception to this is if you are putting the case down onto a thick carpet or something that would obstruct the vent.
Old July 10, 2010, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
If the case has a vent underneath the PSU mount, then you should mount the PSU with the fan facing downwards. The exception to this is if you are putting the case down onto a thick carpet or something that would obstruct the vent.
^^^ Agreed. Or in my case (Antec 300) there is no vent below the PSU, so I decided to leave it facing up (not much space under the PSU either).
Old July 10, 2010, 09:45 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
^^^ Agreed. Or in my case (Antec 300) there is no vent below the PSU, so I decided to leave it facing up (not much space under the PSU either).
Yeah, the 900 has the same design flaw. It was a huge oversight by Antec in my opinion.
Old July 10, 2010, 09:48 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I always face the fan downwards (if possible). My reason? Dust can't settle upwards. lol...