Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30, 2010, 10:21 PM
Rookie

Default New Power Cable for an 850HX ...?

Hi all! I require a longer cable to run from my rig's Corsair 850HX to a battery backup. The AC cable that came with the Corsair unit is maybe 4 feet long and I need at least double that if I hope to avoid some serious unsightly cabling action.

The documentation states I should "use only the power cable that came packaged with the unit" or something along those lines, which sounds like ass covering to me ("Oh! You fried your PSU? Were you using our cable? No? Tough luck!"), but I thought I'd be safe and do a little research before dropping coin on a 10 foot generic cable replacement.

Do I need to exercise caution when buying a new power cable? The Corsair cable is fancy pants with it's gold plated connections, etc. I'd have no problem spending a little more on a cable if I thought it would actually improve (or at least not degrade) performance.

Thoughts? Cheers!
Old June 30, 2010, 10:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For only $3.28 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 14AWG Power Cord Cable w/ 3 conductor PC power connector socket (C13/5-15P) - 10ft (Black) | Power Cords w/ 3 conductor PC power connector

Order that (I think I found the right one) and call it a day
Old June 30, 2010, 11:01 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Like I said on another forum where you made this exact same thread, basically any cheap power cord will do.
Old July 1, 2010, 08:06 AM
Banned
F@H

if you expect to pull lots of juice from the wall,then get a proper one, hell get a proper one anyway. i have a couple monster of cables(not the brand). these things are made to run 1500 psu's or better? :)
Old July 1, 2010, 10:50 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
if you expect to pull lots of juice from the wall,then get a proper one, hell get a proper one anyway. i have a couple monster of cables(not the brand). these things are made to run 1500 psu's or better? :)
Nonsense.
Old July 1, 2010, 11:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

All power cables are the same damn thing. They are just three wires in there of same thickness and insulation, as zero has stated any wire that is 3 pronged and has the same 'opening' to plug into a psu will work. Its simple electronics
Old July 1, 2010, 11:13 AM
Banned
F@H

trust me, ive seen some cheapo 25c cables go. well first they warmed up a 'bit'

if you spend x ammount on pc and then get a cheap psu and power cord...facepalm
Old July 1, 2010, 11:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes but we are debating the cable itself, not the psu. Cheap psus will go, matter or time, especially if you turn them on and off a lot. A cable though, is typically marked up and all are made at roughly the same quality. I've never in all my life in building pcs or being an electronics student, have a seen a cheap psu cable be the culprit.
Old July 1, 2010, 11:23 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
trust me, ive seen some cheapo 25c cables go. well first they warmed up a 'bit'

if you spend x ammount on pc and then get a cheap psu and power cord...facepalm
I don't see a reason to "trust you", since even a cheap 10A-rated cable is enough to handle 1000-1200W of power draw from a 120V socket which is far more than the OP will likely ever see. If he remains within the PSU's maximum rated power draw of 850W, the maximum amount of power the PSU will ever pull from the wall will be 1000W which is within the capabilities of a cheap cable.
Old July 1, 2010, 11:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

When buying cheap power cables, buy a few, cut one or two of them open and bust out the caliper/awg gauge. If it's good buy a lot more.