Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   8 Pin Power extension (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/33746-8-pin-power-extension.html)

Computergeek June 30, 2010 04:29 AM

8 Pin Power extension

So i have been modding my cosmos s and i bought 2 different 8 pin power extensions and both of them won't fit. It seems that the pins on my Asus P5Q-E are to big. The connectors on the 8 pin power extension are not wide enough.

What to do?

Thanks
Scott

_dangtx_ June 30, 2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computergeek (Post 397757)
So i have been modding my cosmos s and i bought 2 different 8 pin power extensions and both of them won't fit. It seems that the pins on my Asus P5Q-E are to big. The connectors on the 8 pin power extension are not wide enough.

What to do?

Thanks
Scott

ive used these with great success. dont remember having ever had issues.

NG-4P4M-8PEF, 3 bucks at dc it seems.

unless you mean 8 pin to 8 pin :p

Zero82z June 30, 2010 10:20 AM

Can you post a link to the extensions you bought? I have a feeling you bought PCI-E power extensions instead of the EPS12V extensions you need.

Computergeek June 30, 2010 10:48 AM

i got this one about a week ago
Newegg.ca - NZXT 9.84" 8Pin Motherboard Power Extension Cable Model CB-8P

and i bought this one yesterday but from a location shop in halifax

Newegg.ca - StarTech 8" EPS 8 Pin Power Extension Cable Model EPS8EXT

and either of them work... :sad:

Cheers!
Scott

Zero82z June 30, 2010 10:52 AM

Those are the right cables. Have you tried just pushing a little harder? It may simply require some more force. If the connectors will fit into the sockets, see if you can just push them down to lock them in fully.

Computergeek June 30, 2010 11:36 AM

yea.. i was very nervous about pushing to hard. The last time i tried i pushed farly hard and it still didnt come close but i will give it another try tonite..

this is the first time i have had this problem in like 10 years of building pcs..

Computergeek June 30, 2010 04:35 PM

nope either of them works.. ahh this is frustrating..

_dangtx_ June 30, 2010 05:09 PM

are you pulling on the lock thingie? if you dont press hard enough on some(like the 24 pin power supply cable it wont go in)

edit...you dont have that stupid 4 pin cover on your 8 pin or something..lol?

Computergeek June 30, 2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 398079)
are you pulling on the lock thingie? if you dont press hard enough on some(like the 24 pin power supply cable it wont go in)

edit...you dont have that stupid 4 pin cover on your 8 pin or something..lol?

lol nope.

mo' power July 1, 2010 12:47 PM

It seems people are needing these extensions more often these days as we switch to larger cases and become fussier over our cable management. I'll need one of these extensions myself. If you can get them both to fit, I'll buy your extra from you. I barely had enough length with my TPQ-850 and my Coolermaster CM690.