Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2010, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Default Enermax ERV950EWT question

Can anyone tell me why the Enermax ERV950EWT is only $229.99 at NCIX and the Enermax ERV850EWT is $262.99? I will be buying a new PC soon and have been looking at power supplies. I was going to get the Enermax ERV1050EWT REVOLUTION85+ 1050W but if I can get a 950W for $60 cheaper I may just go that way?
Is Enermax over priced or do you get what you pay for, from the reviews I have seen they are top line units.

PS. I have been reading topics and reviews on this site for a few months now, great site.

Thanks for any help. (wouldn't let me post links sorry)
Old June 29, 2010, 11:02 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The reason the prices are off is because Enermax's pricing in general is pretty out of whack. Their PSUs range from very good to excellent, but they are overpriced.
Old June 30, 2010, 09:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Those will soon be EOL and be replaced with a Revo 85+ 920W and 1020W versions. They will be shorter, not so sure about the efficiency/ripple though. Anyways, that could count for the pricing but still doesn't make much sense.
Old June 30, 2010, 09:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think, and this is just a theory...but Enermax's pricing is higher because they make the PSU's they sell. Unlike Corsair, Silverstone etc etc who rely on OEM's and thus volume = cheaper...Enermax is stuck this way.

That being said, they are very solid proven units and if I had the coin I'd have one myself.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 30, 2010, 10:39 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I think, and this is just a theory...but Enermax's pricing is higher because they make the PSU's they sell. Unlike Corsair, Silverstone etc etc who rely on OEM's and thus volume = cheaper...Enermax is stuck this way.
The fact that Enermax owns their entire production chain means that it probably costs them less, not more, to make PSUs than companies like Corsair and Antec that just rebrand other units. Enermax is hardly a small company and they do sell a lot of PSUs.
Old July 1, 2010, 05:39 PM
Rookie

Thank you for the help.
Old July 1, 2010, 07:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Personally I'd just get a Corsair HX850 and call it a day

Unless you're running like triple/quad GPUs, no real need for 950W or 1050W IMO.
Old July 2, 2010, 05:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The fact that Enermax owns their entire production chain means that it probably costs them less, not more, to make PSUs than companies like Corsair and Antec that just rebrand other units. Enermax is hardly a small company and they do sell a lot of PSUs.

Yeah, not that we will ever know though Zero. I know they aren't a small company It was after all, a theroy that I had.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 2, 2010, 10:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I know someone who killed two fairly new Enermax's Revolution 85+ 1050W units in their rig. Enermax not only replaced the units, they custom made them to handle his computers load. Im definitely looking forward to their Revo 87+ line up.