Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 28, 2010, 09:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Mushkin Enhanced Volta?

I'm currently looking at updating some things in my system, and as such I'm looking for a new PSU. I was looking at the Silverstone Strider Plus 750w due to the silverstone quality, modular cables, and price. The thing is I don't really need 750w, so I'm thinking I could save a bit by going for a bit smaller PSU but with similar quality. As such, I was thinking about the Mushkin Enhanced Volta 600w. It's modular, mushkin quality, has an excellent price, and a better warranty than the Silverstone. So, my question is, clearly the Mushkin would be strong enough for my current system, but would it still fare well with upgrades? Planned upgrades is AMD Bulldozer when it comes out, as well as potential GPU upgrade at the same time. I'm not a fan of dual GPU, so anything I upgrade to would be single GPU.

So, Mushkin Enhanced Volta 600w? What are your opinions. Cheers, and thanks for the help canucks!
Old June 28, 2010, 09:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think the Mushkin would be good, although they are an average Topower OEM.

I still would vote for the Strider Plus or even a Corsair HX model.
I personally prefer those ones, not to say the Volta is bad bad , its just an average unit.

My thoughts,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 28, 2010, 09:33 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I would say Corsair HX as well but those are also probably quite a bit more $. What is your budget?
Old June 28, 2010, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Seasonic S12's are also good for the price :)

-Plato
Old June 28, 2010, 09:35 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the input. I would prefer and know the necessity of not skimping on a PSU, but being a student I wouldn't mind exploring some cheaper options for PSUs, while still high quality, may not have as much power. Could you recommend any cheaper alternatives to the Silverstones or Corsairs that might suit my budget more?

Edit: Two posts while I was responding:P.

@ Eldonko: I don't really have a budget per se. I could definitely spring for the Silverstone 750 or the Corsair 650, but I wouldn't mind spending a bit less for a lower power unit. I think a high quality 600w would cover me for potential upgrades; a 750 would be a bit overkill, and if I can save the money I'd like to.

@ jcmaz: I really want a modular PSU, so I'd like to explore those options before a non-modular. While I'd like to save money, I don't have a problem spending the extra bit for modular.
Old June 28, 2010, 09:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Strider Plus 600, Corsair HX650, Antec Earthwatts 650 or Antec Truepower New (Modular), Seasonic SII 620W.

Those would all be lower power and thus somewhat cheaper than their bigger brothers.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 28, 2010, 10:20 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Why are you looking for a new PSU? According to your specs you have a CP-850, which should be plenty for any upgrades you may be making and is also more powerful than any of the units you're looking at right now.
Old June 28, 2010, 10:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

+1 for a Corsair HX650. You can usually find it on sale, I think NCIX has the HX750 on sale for 125 right now.

EDIT: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Professional HX750W 750W ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan - CMPSU-750HX In Canada.

Double Edit: Wow nevermind it just sold out.
-Corsair H-50 + 2x Cooler Master R4
-Asus RoG Rampage III Extreme
-6GB OCZ Platinum Triple Channel DDR3-1600 [7-7-7-20]
-2x EVGA GTX 295+ Quad SLI
-Corsair HX-1000
-WD 160GB Raptor 10000RPM
-WD 1000GB Black 7200RPM

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1249140.png
Old June 28, 2010, 10:33 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I vote HX650, HX750, or Silverstone Strider 750 Plus. If you want cheaper Seasonic S12II 620W is $90 and still 80+ Bronze.
Old June 28, 2010, 10:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll most likely just stay with a Strider Plus or HX after all the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Why are you looking for a new PSU? According to your specs you have a CP-850, which should be plenty for any upgrades you may be making and is also more powerful than any of the units you're looking at right now.
I'm tired of my 1200 and going to sell it to upgrade to a Silverstone FT02, and because the CP-850 is only compatible with the 1200, P193, and P183, I'm looking for its replacement.