Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   Mushkin Enhanced Volta? (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/33678-mushkin-enhanced-volta.html)

Iphikratous June 28, 2010 09:16 AM

Mushkin Enhanced Volta?

I'm currently looking at updating some things in my system, and as such I'm looking for a new PSU. I was looking at the Silverstone Strider Plus 750w due to the silverstone quality, modular cables, and price. The thing is I don't really need 750w, so I'm thinking I could save a bit by going for a bit smaller PSU but with similar quality. As such, I was thinking about the Mushkin Enhanced Volta 600w. It's modular, mushkin quality, has an excellent price, and a better warranty than the Silverstone. So, my question is, clearly the Mushkin would be strong enough for my current system, but would it still fare well with upgrades? Planned upgrades is AMD Bulldozer when it comes out, as well as potential GPU upgrade at the same time. I'm not a fan of dual GPU, so anything I upgrade to would be single GPU.

So, Mushkin Enhanced Volta 600w? What are your opinions. Cheers, and thanks for the help canucks!:biggrin:

Soultribunal June 28, 2010 09:31 AM

I think the Mushkin would be good, although they are an average Topower OEM.

I still would vote for the Strider Plus or even a Corsair HX model.
I personally prefer those ones, not to say the Volta is bad bad , its just an average unit.

My thoughts,
ST

Eldonko June 28, 2010 09:33 AM

I would say Corsair HX as well but those are also probably quite a bit more $. What is your budget?

jcmaz June 28, 2010 09:34 AM

Seasonic S12's are also good for the price :)

Iphikratous June 28, 2010 09:35 AM

Thanks for the input. I would prefer and know the necessity of not skimping on a PSU, but being a student I wouldn't mind exploring some cheaper options for PSUs, while still high quality, may not have as much power. Could you recommend any cheaper alternatives to the Silverstones or Corsairs that might suit my budget more?

Edit: Two posts while I was responding:P.

@ Eldonko: I don't really have a budget per se. I could definitely spring for the Silverstone 750 or the Corsair 650, but I wouldn't mind spending a bit less for a lower power unit. I think a high quality 600w would cover me for potential upgrades; a 750 would be a bit overkill, and if I can save the money I'd like to.

@ jcmaz: I really want a modular PSU, so I'd like to explore those options before a non-modular. While I'd like to save money, I don't have a problem spending the extra bit for modular.

Soultribunal June 28, 2010 09:43 AM

Strider Plus 600, Corsair HX650, Antec Earthwatts 650 or Antec Truepower New (Modular), Seasonic SII 620W.

Those would all be lower power and thus somewhat cheaper than their bigger brothers.

ST

Zero82z June 28, 2010 10:20 AM

Why are you looking for a new PSU? According to your specs you have a CP-850, which should be plenty for any upgrades you may be making and is also more powerful than any of the units you're looking at right now.

ForTheGG June 28, 2010 10:26 AM

+1 for a Corsair HX650. You can usually find it on sale, I think NCIX has the HX750 on sale for 125 right now.

EDIT: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Professional HX750W 750W ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan - CMPSU-750HX In Canada.

Double Edit: Wow nevermind it just sold out.

Eldonko June 28, 2010 10:33 AM

I vote HX650, HX750, or Silverstone Strider 750 Plus. If you want cheaper Seasonic S12II 620W is $90 and still 80+ Bronze.

Iphikratous June 28, 2010 10:41 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll most likely just stay with a Strider Plus or HX after all the feedback.:thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero82z (Post 396911)
Why are you looking for a new PSU? According to your specs you have a CP-850, which should be plenty for any upgrades you may be making and is also more powerful than any of the units you're looking at right now.

I'm tired of my 1200 and going to sell it to upgrade to a Silverstone FT02, and because the CP-850 is only compatible with the 1200, P193, and P183, I'm looking for its replacement.