Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2010, 05:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Here is that XION PSU by a different name: Kingwin Mach 1 1000W Review

Not great, but not exploding material either unless it's defective. Dismissing an uncommon brand as low quality is just as bad as trusting a generic brand. Oftentimes you can find PSUs that are basically identical to units that are commonly considered to be top of the line being sold for a lot less by other lesser-known brands. The HX1000 is a good example of this; there are at least half a dozen so-called "generic" versions of it.

I know that Zero, was making a point in the matter. It might not look like exploding material, but it surely was. Same with anything i've seen from Diablotek , Apevia, Power Up! etc etc...

I don't dismiss, I go by experience. Where as Everyone said Ultra was garbage, and yet my LSP's and X3's keep on going....

Regardless of how anything in this world looks on paper, it is real world experience that counts.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 29, 2010, 09:50 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I know that Zero, was making a point in the matter. It might not look like exploding material, but it surely was. Same with anything i've seen from Diablotek , Apevia, Power Up! etc etc...
No, and you are missing the point completely. This is completely different from Diablotek, Apevia, or another garbage brand. You got a defective sample of what is in general a good quality PSU. Those other brands are always crap. The fact that you were unlucky does not make the PSU bad. I can point to examples of people having their first Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, Silverstone, etc. PSU fail on them catastrophically. Same goes for other types of hardware; ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA motherboards and GPUs and other things. Just take a look at the thread here where someone had his EVGA Classified motherboard burn up on him. Does that make the products bad? No, it makes the particular samples defective. One defective sample does not reflect the quality of the product.
Quote:
Regardless of how anything in this world looks on paper, it is real world experience that counts.
Real-world personal experience is not enough. You cannot accurately rate a product based on a single isolated example.
Old June 29, 2010, 10:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
No, and you are missing the point completely. This is completely different from Diablotek, Apevia, or another garbage brand. You got a defective sample of what is in general a good quality PSU. Those other brands are always crap. The fact that you were unlucky does not make the PSU bad. I can point to examples of people having their first Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, Silverstone, etc. PSU fail on them catastrophically. Same goes for other types of hardware; ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA motherboards and GPUs and other things. Just take a look at the thread here where someone had his EVGA Classified motherboard burn up on him. Does that make the products bad? No, it makes the particular samples defective. One defective sample does not reflect the quality of the product.

Real-world personal experience is not enough. You cannot accurately rate a product based on a single isolated example.
Two things Zero,

1) I've got 33 Registered Ultra PSU's since 2006. 1 RMA For a Failed Fan. That is one pretty un-isolated Example.

2) It wasn't my XION , it was a friends and he wasn't the only one that had it die, his was just the one that turned his system into a pile of scrap metal. Not once in my statement did I say that every manufacturer is immune to this phenomon, nor did I get a chance to state if it was just one example of a XION failing or a whole bunch. I've never had good experiences with their Lineup. Nor OCZ for that matter.

Anywho, my thoughts on the matter at hand.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old June 29, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

It may not be fair. It may not be unbiased but everyone goes by personal experience when recommending kit. Unless you have tested and retested hundreds of each model to get an accurate sample size thats all people can do (which is unlikely to say the least). Same goes for review sites. No company in there right mind will send hundreds of samples to one site to test. IMHO dismissing personal experience in favor of theory is unwise to say the least as at the end of the day you have to trust the kit to not go south on you...which is difficult if past experience has said its going to do just that. At an even more basic level the theory of the parts used in a given item only tell half the story. The human factor is the other half. You can have the best components in the world BUT: Was it assembled / built under optimum conditions? Was it tested as rigorously as it should? etc etc. Thats where theory breaks down. Mass production FTW and FTL. Of course as I say YMMV. ;)

Thats why I usually say YMMV when making my own recommendations as your POV may not be the same as mine...and you may get a bad one when I've only had good ones (and vice versa). :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 29, 2010, 11:05 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Recommending a product based on positive personal experiences is valid. Recommending against a product because it is inherently flawed is also valid, like if you get a motherboard with a poorly-designed BIOS, or a device with a bad UI layout or something that crashes frequently. However, dismissing a product as bad simply because you or someone you know had a defective sample is not. There's no way to know whether a product is good or bad based on that. PSUs are even more of an issue because properly testing them is such a complicated task. It's also why the better reviewers give manufacturers and brands a chance to send at least a second sample for review in case the first one turned out to be problematic or defective.
Quote:
1) I've got 33 Registered Ultra PSU's since 2006. 1 RMA For a Failed Fan. That is one pretty un-isolated Example.
I wasn't talking about Ultra PSUs.
Quote:
2) It wasn't my XION , it was a friends and he wasn't the only one that had it die, his was just the one that turned his system into a pile of scrap metal. Not once in my statement did I say that every manufacturer is immune to this phenomon, nor did I get a chance to state if it was just one example of a XION failing or a whole bunch. I've never had good experiences with their Lineup. Nor OCZ for that matter.
Well, I'm not even talking about XION as a lineup. I'm just talking about that one specific unit. The fact that you've seen it fail does not mean that you can lump it in with truly crap PSUs. Or rather, you can lump it in with them, but you'd be wrong in doing so.
Old June 29, 2010, 11:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Recommending a product based on positive personal experiences is valid. Recommending against a product because it is inherently flawed is also valid, like if you get a motherboard with a poorly-designed BIOS, or a device with a bad UI layout or something that crashes frequently. However, dismissing a product as bad simply because you or someone you know had a defective sample is not. There's no way to know whether a product is good or bad based on that. PSUs are even more of an issue because properly testing them is such a complicated task. It's also why the better reviewers give manufacturers and brands a chance to send at least a second sample for review in case the first one turned out to be problematic or defective.

I wasn't talking about Ultra PSUs.

Well, I'm not even talking about XION as a lineup. I'm just talking about that one specific unit. The fact that you've seen it fail does not mean that you can lump it in with truly crap PSUs. Or rather, you can lump it in with them, but you'd be wrong in doing so.

I understand the point that you are making, but I wanted to use both my Sample with the ULTRA because they received a lot of Flak and yet the quantitiy I have personally used, and those used my workplace ect prove that 'paper theory' to be wrong.
And As I stated and you quoted me, that wasn't the only Xion 1KW to fail, it was the only one when it failed to nuke the system. But Failing in general , espically with multiple units is cause for concern.

ST