Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I agree. First of all let me point out that Jon works for BFG so yes he is a bit biased.
Yep. Although only for three months now. I'm working on bigger better things for BFG's power supply line. MUWAHAHAHA!!!

BTW, found another typo:

"...it did manager to beat out the much more expensive DA850"

Sorry.

Last edited by jonnyGURU; November 19, 2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old November 19, 2007, 12:15 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
I agree. First of all let me point out that Jon works for BFG so yes he is a bit biased.

On the other hand, I think this PSU should warrant a looks by people with smaller cases. All in all it is a good little Topower unit. Just because it received a 3.5/5 rating doesn't mean that it is a bad PSU. It just means that there are some things that need a little more work.
Ha Ha Ha.

Ok, you guys are right. Obviously BFG does have their act together.

Most likely I should have worded it like so...

I should proceed with measured caution until they work out the kinks on this particular model of PSU, if and only if my performance expectations are likely to coincide with this particular reviewers review...hehe double n.
Old November 19, 2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
Ha Ha Ha.

Ok, you guys are right. Obviously BFG does have their act together.

Most likely I should have worded it like so...

I should proceed with measured caution until they work out the kinks on this particular model of PSU, if and only if my performance expectations are likely to coincide with this particular reviewers review...hehe double n.
LOL! So elequantly put.

I'm actually working on getting little 4" extenders that have 6+2-pins on the end to send out to folks that need them. That should take care of two of the "cons." As far as loud fans go? Can't help that.
Old November 19, 2007, 12:37 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Now if you could only clone those two PCI-E cables to make a total of four and have those four produce at least one 8-pin offspring you might be in business!!
Old November 19, 2007, 12:40 PM

I was thinking about that. I was thinking I would have to do one or the other and someone that needed to extend 4" wouldn't want an extra cable dangling in their chassis, but who's to say they can't make two different adapters (6-pin to two 6-pin as well as a 6-pin to 6+2-pin) and let people pick which one they want.
Old November 19, 2007, 12:58 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

That's what I was thinking but you ay also have logistical complications to a certain extent. I mean...who will people KNOW about the availability of these additional cables? Also, I see no problem with an unconnected PCI-E cable hanging around the inside of the case since many manufacturers (Silverstone, Cooler Master, etc.) have begun adding second PCI-E connectors after the first PCI-E connector on the same cable.
Old November 19, 2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I mean...who will people KNOW about the availability of these additional cables?
You mean "how?"

Well, there's a "BFGStore.com" that we could put them on and link the product page for the 800W over to that product. Also plan on giving some to support for when angry customers call, they can just send them out.

Also, people that see this review and the discussion thread should be able to contact me. I changed my profile email address to my work addy just in case.
Old November 19, 2007, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Also, I see no problem with an unconnected PCI-E cable hanging around the inside of the case since many manufacturers (Silverstone, Cooler Master, etc.) have begun adding second PCI-E connectors after the first PCI-E connector on the same cable.
Slightly off-topic, sry. Can you do that without problems? That's a theoretical 150W running down that cable, right? The PSU rail probably wouldn't have any trouble, but what about the individual cable? That's only split across 3 wires on a regular PCI-E connector, correct? Is that the kind of thing that a power supply has to be built for? Or are products like THIS reasonably safe to use?
Old November 19, 2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Slightly off-topic, sry. Can you do that without problems? That's a theoretical 150W running down that cable, right? The PSU rail probably wouldn't have any trouble, but what about the individual cable? That's only split across 3 wires on a regular PCI-E connector, correct? Is that the kind of thing that a power supply has to be built for? Or are products like THIS reasonably safe to use?
Up to 150W, yes. If you do run two connectors off of one wire. Another reason why I was hesitant to do it.

But truth be told, I haven't seen a graphics card pull more than 100W combined from a pair of PCI-e connectors and even when they do it's only for a very brief period. Not enough to heat up the wire or cause a voltage drop.
Old November 19, 2007, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Fair enough. I like planning for worst-case scenarios, but I suppose in this case, it's a pretty unlikely event.