Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2010, 07:23 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

yeah I was just looking at one of those connectors, well isn't that epic... dual PSU's!!!! woot

before you know it all the mainboards sold in the store will have multiple cpu's
8 pci-e slots, can you imagine? 12 cores? over 16 gigs of video memory? lol energy crisis much?

wait a minute, "light bulb" whats a "stop-gap" psu? or is tha referring to gpu's?

Edit Arinoth: Please stop double posting, use the edit button

Last edited by Arinoth; June 2, 2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old June 2, 2010, 07:37 PM
Banned
F@H

green and black for power on/off signalisation..very nice.
Old June 2, 2010, 07:41 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

If you're looking to power four 5850s off a PSU that only has four PCI-E connectors, then chances are you should be looking for a more powerful PSU to begin with. There are PSUs that have six or more PCI-E connectors, and you can always use molex to PCI-E adapters if you need more. I always favour a single PSU over a dual-PSU setup because there are other factors that you have to consider when sticking two different PSUs together. You have to balance the load across both units, you have to make sure that you aren't crossloading either one of them, and you also have to make sure that each component in the system is only being powered by one of the PSUs, or you will end up with current flowing from one PSU to the other due to voltage differences which is definitely not something you want.
Old June 2, 2010, 07:45 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

ok... hmm, voltage regulator? inline capacitor?

I appologize for the double posting, still a rookie, not trying to stat pad
Old June 2, 2010, 07:47 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusD View Post
ok... hmm, voltage regulator? inline capacitor?
Uh, what?
Old June 2, 2010, 07:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

well you mentione cross threading the psu's, and backfeeding wattage, im thinking there must be a way to stop that from ever happening from the start, possible capacitor to compensate? voltage regulator? maybe an added diode for control?

or am i dreaming?

time to research and see what is already onthe market before i start building a control board, no time for that anymore, games take up to much time

Last edited by MobiusD; June 2, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old June 2, 2010, 08:04 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

You're pretty much dreaming. There's no convenient way to compensate for the problems I mentioned aside from avoiding them altogether.
Old June 2, 2010, 08:06 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

theres always a way.... its been done already and was stable im sure, need to search for the info, it lurks out there somewhere
Old June 2, 2010, 08:11 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Like I said, if you balance everything properly then there is no problem. But you have to make sure to do it properly, and there are certain things you need to worry about. My opinion is that it's more trouble than it's worth, and the correct solution to your problem would be to purchase a PSU with the capacity to properly power all of your hardware instead of trying to hack two smaller PSUs together.
Old June 2, 2010, 08:22 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

You made a great point about balancing tho, and instantly got me thinking how impossible it would be to balance the psu's, just throwing some ideas outloud, my issue isnt really powering the gpu's i soppose its i found a small problem and want to be a geek and fix it :)

could easily molex adapt one gpu, cant find a psu that has 8x6 pin connectors so adapting 2 6 pins should be easy enough, just cant help but wonder how to solve futue power issues when psu's are only supplied with half the connectors us consumers need, just finished looking at the ultra 1800 watt psu, only has 6x6 pci-e connectors, need 8, wierd when it has 3x8 pin pci-e connectors, 3 of them? why 3 all cards have 2 connections, the third one is for what?