Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2010, 06:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Seasonic M12D 850 flawed?

NCIX has this beast of a PSU for $129 on sale this week. It's also a $5.99 ground shipping promo.

NCIX.com - Buy Seasonic M12D 850W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS 8PIN PCI-E 120MM Fan - M12D-850W In Canada.

It's the Seasonic M12D 850.

It seems to be an awesome deal and I almost bought it in a heartbeat. now, also on NCIX forum, I read on customers NOT happy with it and complaining about this PSU being NOISY...something about coilwhine of sorts...

Obviously they aren't selling because with a deal like that they would've been gone if it wasn't for the capacitor high-pinch noise....they still have at least 10 in stock....tells me that people hesitate....that being said, the regular price of $250 explains why they don't USUALLY sell at regular price.

The thread:
NCIX FORUMS - High pitch noise - Seasonic M12D 850W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX M...

It's pretty sad, because I would've bought it, I mean legendary Seasonic quality....for $129 and also giving me an upgrade path.
Is it possible that NCIX is accepting to be an "outlet" to sells flawed products (got a bargain from Seasonic to get rid of these) or just a coincidence/shyte-happens kinda deal?

I'm also looking at the XFX 750/850 black (also Seasonic-built) and the Silverstone strider plus 850 (reviewed here and called a "holy grail" for price-perf-quality ratio).

The only thing that bothers me is that the Silverstone DOESN'T have a on/off switch....seems kinda weird.
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old May 29, 2010, 06:47 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I have two of these. Neither squeals.
Old May 29, 2010, 06:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's 1/20 reviews...
The thing is, even though he was approved for RMA, pretty much EVERYBODY buying from NCIX is.
It could've been one faulty unit out of twenty, but that's only 5%, pretty good for such a small sample size.
It also could have been incompatibility with a GPU/mobo's mosfets. (I remember someone posting about certain Gigabyte mosfets being incompatible with most Seasonic made PSUs)

I wouldn't pass up buying a good unit for just that one review with no further evidence. I'd at least look into it a bit more.

On a side note the Seasonic X series have been dropping in price lately, the lowest price for the 650 watt was about $143 and the 750 watt was $155 IIRC. I'd go with one of these if you don't need the full 850 watts. But if you do, they don't have overload protection and can actually output a good bit more than their rated spec (due to overspec'ed components) but I wouldn't recommend that for 24/7 use.
Old May 29, 2010, 07:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

gone through several of these not one noise or problems at all. if you got the money when these are on sale buy one i would. if i need a psu if any one i buy has a whine then they go back. jmo
Old May 29, 2010, 07:21 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
That's 1/20 reviews...
The thing is, even though he was approved for RMA, pretty much EVERYBODY buying from NCIX is.
It could've been one faulty unit out of twenty, but that's only 5%, pretty good for such a small sample size.
It also could have been incompatibility with a GPU/mobo's mosfets. (I remember someone posting about certain Gigabyte mosfets being incompatible with most Seasonic made PSUs)

I wouldn't pass up buying a good unit for just that one review with no further evidence. I'd at least look into it a bit more.

On a side note the Seasonic X series have been dropping in price lately, the lowest price for the 650 watt was about $143 and the 750 watt was $155 IIRC. I'd go with one of these if you don't need the full 850 watts. But if you do, they don't have overload protection and can actually output a good bit more than their rated spec (due to overspec'ed components) but I wouldn't recommend that for 24/7 use.
The Seasonic X-series is looking great. 80PLUS Gold, full modularity, single rail, very quiet. It's definitely the PSU I'm recommending most readily these days. I believe you have the choice between 2x EPS and 2x 6+8 pin PCIe (you can have one of each, then one more of either), should be plenty for your setup.

On-topic, I've heard stories of the squealing M12Ds, but I've never used one myself. It seems like Seasonic would have taken action to correct the problem if there was such widespread dissatisfaction with the product.

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old May 29, 2010, 07:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

I settled for a XFX 850W Black Edition Single Rail PM'ed to $156.
That PSU was reviewed here also:

9-Way 850W Power Supply Roundup

It's based on the other Seasonic design I was pointing at anyway.
The XFX has a little less cabling hardwired into the PSU than the M12D (half modular basically) and XFX is a single-rail, which has been the buzzword lately. I remember the multi-rail days (2007-2008 the more rails the better), then now back to single-rail design love. I also like the pimp-my-psu look of the XFX (shame on me)

Anyway, both SKY (9 way 850w PSU review) recommend the XFX as a good contender to the M12D, so I feel it's a good purchase. The market is a lot nicer than it used to be for PSU buyers these days... a lot of good models below $200....really nice. That 850 watts is overkill for my ACTUAL rig, but the key word is "actual"
I'll retire my 3 year-old ANTEC TP3 650 rev.1 (that was getting mixed reviews back then) to my secondary rig (E6420-AC7 Freezer PRO/2 gig/GA-965P-DS3/eVGA 8800GTS640 SC) that still has a FSP 460Watts:

MODTHEBOX.COM - Canada's Premier Case Modding Source - Reviews - FSP Group 460 Watt ATX Server Power Supply Review

That PSU used to be decent back in the day (payed $25 for it) now it's gonna go in the spare bin...
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old May 29, 2010, 09:15 AM
Banned
F@H

yeah they had issues with whining units one in so many. dont remember the exact figures. they have good warranty, just in case
Old May 29, 2010, 10:43 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
I settled for a XFX 850W Black Edition Single Rail PM'ed to $156.
That PSU was reviewed here also:

9-Way 850W Power Supply Roundup

It's based on the other Seasonic design I was pointing at anyway.
That is incorrect. The XFX PSU is EXACTLY the same as the 850W M12D except for the fact that the OCP was removed to turn it into a single-rail unit. And there are no design flaws with either one. Coil (not capacitor) whine is an issue that can occur with any PSU and any hardware configuration. Though it can be annoying, it's also not harmful.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:24 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
That is incorrect. The XFX PSU is EXACTLY the same as the 850W M12D except for the fact that the OCP was removed to turn it into a single-rail unit. And there are no design flaws with either one. Coil (not capacitor) whine is an issue that can occur with any PSU and any hardware configuration. Though it can be annoying, it's also not harmful.
I have an M12D, I got it for 120 and free shipping so I jumped on it. It makes a high pitched noise when my computer is off, not crazy loud, but loud enough that if I listen for it I can hear it. Are you saying that the power supply is perfectly fine functionally despite the whining? I was planning on upgrading my case soon and I was going to use the time to send my PSU back to get a non-whining one, but it sounds like you are saying that the new one will probobly whine as well due to my hardware, right?
Old May 29, 2010, 05:43 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
Are you saying that the power supply is perfectly fine functionally despite the whining?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
I was planning on upgrading my case soon and I was going to use the time to send my PSU back to get a non-whining one, but it sounds like you are saying that the new one will probobly whine as well due to my hardware, right?
Not necessarily. The one you get back may not whine.