Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28, 2010, 03:29 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Sorry about that,

I read thru a lot of topics ,but need clearer info on the UPSes.

I want to protect the rig in sig. I'm moving to an old house (about 75 years old) in a city. I have no idea of the quality of the wiring (original or rewired), amount of circuits or general electrical "history" of the neighborhood (outages, peaks, brownouts, thunderstorms you know).

Anyway I want to protect the rig from any electrical noise/dirty power/brownout/whatever. 'll be keeping this rig as it is for at least another year.

I'm not after a way to strictly save data, I just want to protect my hardware at all cost. Don't want a brownout to take my SSD, mobo or everything else for that matter.
My PSU is the ANTEC TRUEPOWER 3 650Watts V1. the power draw at the prong, I estimate it at around 400 watts (factoring-in overclock).

I'm afraid I buy a UPS that would not be compatible with my PSU (sine wave thingy???).

I'm considering a 1100-1300VA APC model that they sell locally at Costco for around $150...they do not advertise it on their webpage, but it's a big unit.

Is it what I need? Or is there some line-conditioning devices that can do the job?
I already use a $50 000 warranty Belkin surge suppressor, but I know it doesn't protect from dirty power...

If your concern is to protect your hardware then your best bet is to go with a line interactive Smart-UPS. The Back-UPSs that are recommended here will work fine in most cases, but pretty much just to provide a bit of run time. They're not really suited to protect against power disturbances like the line interactive units are. The Back-UPSs are standy by units and the Smart-UPS are line interactive. Also, the Smart-UPS's output a sine wave which a lot of power supplies need to function properly.

I would recommend a unit like the IBM Smart-UPS 1500 which is a data center quality unit offering 1050W. It's a line interactive unit that outputs a sine wave, has avr boost/drop and and offers a solid run time. The batteries in this unit are much bigger than the Back-UPS one and will offer more run time in case of power failure. You can put your cable modem, router, and voip phone on this battery backup as well to protect all that stuff in case of a power outage.

If you're on a tight budget but still want a data center style unit, you can always go with the APC Smart-UPS 1400. This unit is the predecessor to the 1500, everything is almost the same, the 1500 has a USB port and a serial port while the 1400 only has a serial port. The software and the hardware in both units is the same, the run time will be the same as well.

Both of the above mentioned units clean and filter the dirty power which is crucial to proper operation. They're solid work horses. Anything will be better than a surge protector/power bar, and a Smart-UPS will be better than a Back-UPS.
Old May 28, 2010, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Both of the above mentioned units clean and filter the dirty power which is crucial to proper operation. They're solid work horses. Anything will be better than a surge protector/power bar, and a Smart-UPS will be better than a Back-UPS.
Both of the above will cost 2/3 of the cost of my hardware...
I guess I'll have to reconsider.
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old May 28, 2010, 06:44 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
If your concern is to protect your hardware then your best bet is to go with a line interactive Smart-UPS. The Back-UPSs that are recommended here will work fine in most cases, but pretty much just to provide a bit of run time. They're not really suited to protect against power disturbances like the line interactive units are. The Back-UPSs are standy by units and the Smart-UPS are line interactive. Also, the Smart-UPS's output a sine wave which a lot of power supplies need to function properly.

I would recommend a unit like the IBM Smart-UPS 1500 which is a data center quality unit offering 1050W. It's a line interactive unit that outputs a sine wave, has avr boost/drop and and offers a solid run time. The batteries in this unit are much bigger than the Back-UPS one and will offer more run time in case of power failure. You can put your cable modem, router, and voip phone on this battery backup as well to protect all that stuff in case of a power outage.

If you're on a tight budget but still want a data center style unit, you can always go with the APC Smart-UPS 1400. This unit is the predecessor to the 1500, everything is almost the same, the 1500 has a USB port and a serial port while the 1400 only has a serial port. The software and the hardware in both units is the same, the run time will be the same as well.

I don't think most people here really need a UPS that's specialized for minimizing downtime in a datacenter. Most people here, myself included, just want a UPS so that we can safely react in the event of a power failure, avoiding data loss and possible hardware damage. If you were serious about having your machines running at all times regardless of whether power is being drawn from the wall or not, then I agree, investing money in a line-interactive, pure-sine UPS would likely be a good idea. Otherwise, I imagine a Back-UPS will work just fine.

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old May 28, 2010, 07:50 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steers View Post
I don't think most people here really need a UPS that's specialized for minimizing downtime in a datacenter. Most people here, myself included, just want a UPS so that we can safely react in the event of a power failure, avoiding data loss and possible hardware damage. If you were serious about having your machines running at all times regardless of whether power is being drawn from the wall or not, then I agree, investing money in a line-interactive, pure-sine UPS would likely be a good idea. Otherwise, I imagine a Back-UPS will work just fine.

I agree with you in theory, there should be no need to spend extra money that can be saved. However, in practice the Back-UPSs are just not as good as the Smart-UPSs because APC doesn't feel the need to make them as reliable for home use. I don't think this is fair as home users spend fortunes on their equipment and probably have less money to replace equipment due to power trouble. Basically, if you're going to spend a few grand on computer equipment, why cheapen out on a lower end backup that won't do as good of a job protecting your equipment?

If it was my choice, I think APC should make better home use products!
Old May 28, 2010, 04:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Ok Zero82z,

I was just basically taking references off SKYMTL's post in this thread:

Opinions on UPS's

I also seen your answer.
Well, like I said there, the output waveform only makes a difference when the UPS is running on battery power. If it isn't on battery, then any issues will have nothing to do with the output waveform of the UPS' inverter since it isn't even being used.
Quote:
Are UPSes refundable or only exchangeable once they're unpacked, just in case there is something wrong? Guess I might as well buy local this time, in case something doesn't jive.
You should be able to return a UPS that you have actually used. That really depends on the specific return policy of the retailer you're dealing with though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steers View Post
That depends. If you're just looking for a bit of uptime, then a lower-end UPS will work fine. However, if you want something that will clean up dirty power, you need a better-quality line-interactive UPS (line-interactive basically just means that it's got a line conditioner in it too). Most UPSes have some form of AVR, but it's not very robust and is only meant for small fluctuations in voltage.