Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   PSU : Tester (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/32278-psu-tester.html)

trayton May 19, 2010 11:50 AM

PSU : Tester

I worked in a computer shop a while back and now do my own running around on the side of my full time job. I'm curious if anyone knows where I can get a good but not huge expensive PSU tester.

The one's I'm use to using are plug the power cable into power supply plug the seperate (20/24 pin) in one side and if it all lights up green good if not, get new psu in most cases) and ofcourse it can test the 8 pin and 4 pin connectors as well. Not sure if I ever saw one that tested the 6 pin connectors (PCI-E).

Thanks in advance or if anyone has a used one for sale let me know asap as well.

Thanks!

SKYMTL May 19, 2010 12:06 PM

So what exactly are you looking to test?

N.V.M. May 19, 2010 12:07 PM

since this is the "i love NCIX" site, go to NCIX and search "psu test". there's a couple of them there.

gingerbee May 19, 2010 12:11 PM

Newegg.ca - psu tester
NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.
shopping at ncix has nothing to do with love it's pure business or should i say pricematching :haha:

trayton May 19, 2010 12:15 PM

There are a few PSU's that I am working on for myself and for other people that I believe might be slowly dying and not giving enough power (random reboots or shutdowns and a few that spin but just dont seem to be enough juice, tested the RAM etc and it doesnt seem faulty so inless its the mobo itself (didnt see any popped capicters (sp?), then I believe it to be the PSU!

This tool should quickly test the PSU for me :)

sswilson May 19, 2010 12:18 PM

Keep in mind that most PSU testers won't give you much of an indication other than non-load voltages.

gingerbee May 19, 2010 12:21 PM

the digital ones give you more info then just a light up that means it works ok

N.V.M. May 19, 2010 12:36 PM

there's a store down the road from one of the NCIX locations that has a Thermaltake tester for about $16. looks like its designed to test P4 connector,Molex, sata,20-24 pin...etc.

here: ATIC Computers - Accessories / Thermaltake - A2358 - Dr. Power PSU Tester

however, when i test a customers PSU, i use a spare PSU that i know is working. as mentioned, when a line is under load, nothing beats a real PSU to test it.

_dangtx_ May 19, 2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 380081)
Keep in mind that most PSU testers won't give you much of an indication other than non-load voltages.

i trust mine, but load testing is required.

Perineum May 19, 2010 03:28 PM

I have one of those voltage testers.... you really can't verify a PSU 100% until its under load, so I really don't know about the effectiveness of these testers.

I mean... if the PSU is definitely (HA! spell checker caught that one again..) dead then the tester will tell you, but it won't help much to tell you it's "mostly" dead.