Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I will vote for APC. I have used them here at home and we use them at work for the servers.

I really like the PowerChute software they have, I like how I can decide how long to keep my system running if I lose power. I currently have the Back-UPS XS 1300 LCD model. Now according to it I am currently using only 179 watts of power. Now that is idle and I know it can get up to around 380ish (if I recall). This is with the system in my specs and I have 5 drives and my main monitor plugged into the UPS as well.

I got mine at Costco for a really good price, $150 if I recall. Just can't find it for a better price anywhere.

Old May 7, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Opti, APC, TrippLite. Cant really go all that wrong with any of those three. Though some don't do pure sine output and do "modified sine" (AKA square wave) which aint as good.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 7, 2010, 06:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

APC batteries are easier to find also.
Old May 7, 2010, 06:48 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Though some don't do pure sine output and do "modified sine" (AKA square wave) which aint as good.
For most things, it is just as good, including when dealing with PCs. PSUs generally don't much care about the shape of the input waveform since it's all rectified to DC anyway.
Old May 7, 2010, 07:26 PM
MVP
F@H

To give you an idea of power consumption:

I've got a i7-860 folding with the CPU @ 100%, in a case with lots of fans, a Dell 22 monitor all plugged into an APC ES 750 (good for about 450 watts), and I'm drawing 195 watts. It says I have about 9 minutes battery time if the power went out. But I've set mine to auto-shutdown the system in 5 minutes.

An old P4 (also folding), monitor, etc. also on an APC ES 750, is drawing only 135 watts, good for about 13 minutes of battery power.

So I'd doubt you'd need much more beyond that for your system.

Whatever you chose, check to see that you'll be able to get a battery replacement a few years down the road. I had an old Tripplite that was working fine, but I couldn't find a battery replacement for it.
Old May 7, 2010, 07:27 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

well i just saw the APC Back-UPS XS 1300 LCD on sale for 99$ +40$ on shipping... guess ill need to call up some local stores and see what they can get me, might save a bit on the shipping side.

good note on the batteries, forgot about those, even thought i just changed one at work last month (would have changed 2 expect i kinda burned one of them out while changing the battery....)

My Boinc Stats
Old May 7, 2010, 07:41 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingCrow View Post
To give you an idea of power consumption:

I've got a i7-860 folding with the CPU @ 100%, in a case with lots of fans, a Dell 22 monitor all plugged into an APC ES 750 (good for about 450 watts), and I'm drawing 195 watts. It says I have about 9 minutes battery time if the power went out. But I've set mine to auto-shutdown the system in 5 minutes.

An old P4 (also folding), monitor, etc. also on an APC ES 750, is drawing only 135 watts, good for about 13 minutes of battery power.

So I'd doubt you'd need much more beyond that for your system.

Whatever you chose, check to see that you'll be able to get a battery replacement a few years down the road. I had an old Tripplite that was working fine, but I couldn't find a battery replacement for it.
that's not allot of power on the i7, that doesnt include your GPU under load?

ive been looking at all the reviews here and with 275 under full load it seems to average to around 350w on the systems

My Boinc Stats
Old May 7, 2010, 08:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patramix View Post
well i just saw the APC Back-UPS XS 1300 LCD on sale for 99$ +40$ on shipping... guess ill need to call up some local stores and see what they can get me, might save a bit on the shipping side.

good note on the batteries, forgot about those, even thought i just changed one at work last month (would have changed 2 expect i kinda burned one of them out while changing the battery....)
careful with that XS 1300/1500. The APC replacement battery (#109) has been difficult to find lately.

I prefer the BR1500 model battery backup myself.
Old May 7, 2010, 09:44 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
For most things, it is just as good, including when dealing with PCs. PSUs generally don't much care about the shape of the input waveform since it's all rectified to DC anyway.
Interestingly, I can't run either my Seasonic X-Series 750W or Silverstone OP1000 on my Opti UPS TS1700 but both run perfectly on my Tripp Lite 1400VA unit (pure sine wave). No idea why....
Old May 7, 2010, 10:59 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patramix View Post
that's not allot of power on the i7, that doesnt include your GPU under load?
The i7-860 doesn't draw a lot of power even at load (stock, not overclocked). Plus, I only have a modest GPU installed right now (not folding).