Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27, 2010, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Extending PSU Cables?

The 12V CPU connector on my SS X750 isn't long enough to reach behind the mobo tray and get to the connector in the corner. So it hangs over my motherboard and it really takes away from getting to pristine cable management.

So I was wondering, could I cut the cables in the middle and solder extension wires of same thickness without affecting the electrical integrity of the wire?
Or should I extend the wires from one end of the connectors?

I don't wanna buy one of those NZXT extensions for a few reasons:
I don't have much room behind my mobo tray.
I plan on sleeving my cables white, don't want to have to bleach the extension cables and re-sleeve it white. (NZXT cheats and uses average black sleeving on black wires)

I don't think I should have much problems soldering the wires, except for the uneven bumps I'll find after sleeving, but I was wondering if anybody has done this before or knows anything about this.
Old April 27, 2010, 08:34 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

You can do that, but I suggest that you heatshrink the solder joints very well to prevent them from being overstressed and breaking.
Old April 27, 2010, 08:39 PM
Banned
F@H

id get the cable, but i commend you for the jobbe to come. drop a few piccies if you will :)

last time i did it i messed up one wire(years ago) the result was rather nice(smokey)
Old April 27, 2010, 08:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
The 12V CPU connector on my SS X750 isn't long enough to reach behind the mobo tray and get to the connector in the corner. So it hangs over my motherboard and it really takes away from getting to pristine cable management.

So I was wondering, could I cut the cables in the middle and solder extension wires of same thickness without affecting the electrical integrity of the wire?
Or should I extend the wires from one end of the connectors?

I don't wanna buy one of those NZXT extensions for a few reasons:
I don't have much room behind my mobo tray.
I plan on sleeving my cables white, don't want to have to bleach the extension cables and re-sleeve it white. (NZXT cheats and uses average black sleeving on black wires)

I don't think I should have much problems soldering the wires, except for the uneven bumps I'll find after sleeving, but I was wondering if anybody has done this before or knows anything about this.
I have done this several times without issue to get cables to reach in large cases... just make sure extension wires are the same gauge and the joints are well insulated... I used regular electrical tape and just tucked the spliced joints behind the mobo tray where you can't see them...
Old April 27, 2010, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Pm Amuseme

"Amuseme" recently used an extension on his " Last Client build" thread he may sugest a sorce.
Old April 27, 2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

Get the extension kit. I will never recommend fooling around with a power supplies wiring. Too dangerous.
Old April 27, 2010, 09:56 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
Get the extension kit. I will never recommend fooling around with a power supplies wiring. Too dangerous.
It's really not dangerous at all if you do it properly, which isn't hard.
Old April 28, 2010, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Time and patience.

Here's a six foot one I made :

Old April 28, 2010, 04:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So I got the Mod Smart sleeving kit at NCIX and when I opened it up just now, I realized I goofed and the kit is no good for the in connector uni cable sleeving I was planning on doing. It only comes with 10' of 1/8" sleeving but it comes with 25' of 1/4" sleeving. So I'm hoping I can jam the 1/4 into the 24 pin connector. Caliper says the so called 1/4" is actually 3/16", so I might be in luck.