Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2010, 01:17 AM
Rookie

Default Antec - Major Disappointment

Wow I'm bumbed. This the second Quattro (First my 850w now my 1000w) to die. Why in the world would a manufacturer put a 10 cent fan in a major piece of equipement I'll never understand. I'm trying to OC a new rig and bam shut down. Thinking my OC is unstable and trying time and time again, beating my head against the wall and nothing. Then I hear (WTF) a slight rattle coming from the psu's crummy little 80mm fan. After watching the fan, I manage to see it actually stop.. Minutes later shut down. Overheated. I'll never buy an Antec psu ever again. I have an OCZ that has been running longer(Supposedly not as well crafted). If you actually managed to make it through my RANT. Take it from me. Don't buy Antec psu's.
Old April 21, 2010, 03:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, bad luck. i have been tempted to buy Antec when they have been on sale but have stuck to tried and true Corsair. I to have a OCZ 600 watt that has been driving rigs constantly for about five years now, I fold so my rigs are almost always on.
Old April 21, 2010, 01:44 PM
Rookie

I think I will switch over to a XFX 850watt Black Edition. According to SKYMTL's review "The XFX Black Edition is OEMd by Seasonic and is based off of their high-end M12D design which we should all know by now is one of the better 80Plus Silver-rated platforms on the market. Its robustness and built quality are above reproach. For those of you wondering, both primary and secondary caps are industrial-rated 105C units from Nippon Chemi-Con." I actually like there visual design and there warranty.
Old April 21, 2010, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bad luck? How old is your PSU?

Go message Antec and they'll deal with it. I've read pretty good reviews for Antec PSUs, and this is probably the first time I've come upon a disappointment such as yours. But then rarely do people post about how good XXX is....
Old April 21, 2010, 01:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I agree on the Fan Issue. A lot of times that little piece of equipment can make a world of difference. Antec is good, the OEM they use has decent performance and such.

But when you run into a string of bad luck like that, yeah it can turn you away.
Chrisk is one lucky bugger with his OCZ as I've ruined more than I can count atm.

Get a Silverstone Strider Plus, Corsair Professional. They are built to last. No PSU Is perfect, everything can have defective runs, but so far so good on these ones for me.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 21, 2010, 02:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

I only trust Corsair and Seasonic, I did have an Antec PSU that died on me for no reason, Luckily I exchanged it with a different brand from my shop. I also had an Enermax, which went off, smelt burnt.

Although I am currently using an Enermax DXX 1KW PSU, it's been very solid for couple years.

But contact Antec, I've heard they got pretty good support.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old April 21, 2010, 03:00 PM
Banned
F@H

back in the day antec was pushing its units,or some of them, so they kinda failed...theyve been good since. besides the fans being throtled a bit too much for my likes on some units(overheating over long periods can and will cause failures eventually) i have found no issues lately

and for ocz, i keep hearing people burning them out, ive used them for years 24/7 and besides acoustics,generally, im not against them. still have 3-4 ranging from 400 watts and up going strong years later.
Old April 21, 2010, 03:37 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

I hate to say it, but I've been disappointed with all 3 Antec PSU's I've had, and I think all were made by Seasonic. The 350W SmartBlue had an LED die within hours of purchase (no biggy I was swapping them out for Green anyway), The TP2 480W and TP3 650W both couldn't output their spec'd power. The 650W was crapping out at a 524W wall load. I then gave up on multi rail PSU's and got a PC P&C Quad 750
Old April 21, 2010, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had a Truepower 2.0 650w crap out on me once, but the RMA was a very nice experience. Very good RMA. Aren't there known issues with the quattro's though? Specifically the 1000w?
Old April 21, 2010, 09:40 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
I hate to say it, but I've been disappointed with all 3 Antec PSU's I've had, and I think all were made by Seasonic. The 350W SmartBlue had an LED die within hours of purchase (no biggy I was swapping them out for Green anyway), The TP2 480W and TP3 650W both couldn't output their spec'd power. The 650W was crapping out at a 524W wall load. I then gave up on multi rail PSU's and got a PC P&C Quad 750
The Truepower Trio was Seasonic. The other two were CWT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Aren't there known issues with the quattro's though? Specifically the 1000w?
No, there's nothing wrong with the TPQ series.