Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2007, 08:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Antec TPQ Problems Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
will be interesting to see how it handles the crysis demo after your last run with 7800
UGH! Sorry guys review is gonna have to hold off :( Turns out my GREAT Antec TPQ has the infamous but of not working with G80 gpus and tells me it doesn't have enough power. Fawk! Gonna have to RMA it AGAIN!

:angry:

I went against my better judgement of using a Antec power supply but now I really regret I didn't :( Time to talk to Antec and see what they'll do.

And might I add I had to RMA this stupid thing ONCE already due to a faulty 12v rail that cause the psu fan to go into overdrive using the 8pin connector *sigh*

Antec has left quite a sour taste in my mouth and never will I buy their products AGAIN.

Oh and to top this off I wanted to have this all done for my review entry :angry:

Last edited by enaberif; October 30, 2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old October 30, 2007, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah, that problem pissed me off too. So far that's been 3 bad Antec PSU's for me. Smart power 450 from the Sonata II, TruePower 550 from a Titan 550 case, and the TPQ 850. My Corsair 620 is killer! Can't wait for their 800W + models!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old October 30, 2007, 09:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
Yeah, that problem pissed me off too. So far that's been 3 bad Antec PSU's for me. Smart power 450 from the Sonata II, TruePower 550 from a Titan 550 case, and the TPQ 850. My Corsair 620 is killer! Can't wait for their 800W + models!
Yah considering I already RMA'd this stupid thing and I'm well past the 30 days to return it back to NCIX for my money back and get something else. Maybe I'll talk to them tho and see if they'll make an exception cause I know its not their fault this seriously... this isn't good for their business.
Old October 31, 2007, 06:25 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Are you WhoamI from the NCIX forums? I have contacted my rep at Antec and they don't seem to know anything about this problem with the TPQ series. For the heck of it I tried the TPQ I have on my 8800GTS SLI setup and it worked without a problem. No one including Jonny from Jonnyguru, Paul from HardOCP and 4 people I know who have the TPQ 850W have this problem. Are there any other documented cases of it?
Old October 31, 2007, 08:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Are you WhoamI from the NCIX forums? I have contacted my rep at Antec and they don't seem to know anything about this problem with the TPQ series. For the heck of it I tried the TPQ I have on my 8800GTS SLI setup and it worked without a problem. No one including Jonny from Jonnyguru, Paul from HardOCP and 4 people I know who have the TPQ 850W have this problem. Are there any other documented cases of it?

Yesir.

Antec Quattro 850 and 8800GTX issue - Page 2 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
Nvidia sentinel ? Power related slow 8800GTX XXX - SLI Zone Forums - 5th thread of the 2nd post

And a very own HWC has had this issue -> Antec Quattro 850W and 8800GTX

So while this maybe a isolated case the fact more than one person has experienced it means something is up.

And I've already had to RMA it for another reason of which the 80mm fan would go into super overdrive when using the 8pin 12v EPS connector.

And sorry for jacking this thread :(

Last edited by enaberif; October 31, 2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old October 31, 2007, 08:22 AM

Unfortunately what yo uare describing is the exact opposite of what is happening with enaberif's system. He has installed a SINGLE 8800GT and it is not working while I have installed a pair of HD2900XT cards and it IS working. Luckily, my contact with Antec extends pretty far beyond the PR department so I have quite a bit of information regarding their products outside of what a normal PR rep would give me.

I monitor numerous forums and I have yet to see this problem with the TPQ 850W mentioned anywhere outside of this thread. There are MANY people who have this power supply working with setups FAR beyond a single 8800GT and there are no reported problems from what I can see. I see no problem here one way or another; from interior quality, rail layout, filtering stages and DC output stages there is nothing in the TPQ that would hold it back from producing its 18A on each of the +12V rails.

You should also be aware that for about a year now (ever since the SPII 450W debacle) Antec has had an in-house PSU testing facility. Much like Corsair, every power supply they begin manufacturing goes through a rigorous test period so the QA at Antec is leaps and bounds beyond what it was a little while ago.

Finally, I would like some concrete proof of these power supplies being failure-prone. I have given up info that shows that they work fine (my review unit was PURCHASED from an etailer) by giving you 3 reviews where it worked for higher-wattage systems the a single 8800GT system. I would also invite you to take a look at the other reviews; most of which were done with systems above the specs of enaberif's system. Antec.com Are they ALL lying? IMO, there may be a problem with a SMALL QUANTITY of the TPQ series and the people who have those problems are a very minor yet vocal crowd. To assume that the majority of TPQW 850W power supplies have a problem would be a huge error. So far I've got a count of 7 working TPQ 850 PSUs out of 8 customers with the one not working belonging to enaberif. That is far from convincing me that there is a problem with these. Another option could be that whoever is having a problem with this unit is not plugging the modular PCI-E cable into the right modular interface connector. Just a thought....
Old October 31, 2007, 08:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Unfortunately what yo uare describing is the exact opposite of what is happening with enaberif's system. He has installed a SINGLE 8800GT and it is not working while I have installed a pair of HD2900XT cards and it IS working. Luckily, my contact with Antec extends pretty far beyond the PR department so I have quite a bit of information regarding their products outside of what a normal PR rep would give me.

I understand that a few posts from the internet may not be enough credit to go off of
I monitor numerous forums and I have yet to see this problem with the TPQ 850W mentioned anywhere outside of this thread. There are MANY people who have this power supply working with setups FAR beyond a single 8800GT and there are no reported problems from what I can see. I see no problem here one way or another; from interior quality, rail layout, filtering stages and DC output stages there is nothing in the TPQ that would hold it back from producing its 18A on each of the +12V rails.

You should also be aware that for about a year now (ever since the SPII 450W debacle) Antec has had an in-house PSU testing facility. Much like Corsair, every power supply they begin manufacturing goes through a rigorous test period so the QA at Antec is leaps and bounds beyond what it was a little while ago.

Finally, I would like some concrete proof of these power supplies being failure-prone. I have given up info that shows that they work fine (my review unit was PURCHASED from an etailer) by giving you 3 reviews where it worked for higher-wattage systems the a single 8800GT system. I would also invite you to take a look at the other reviews; most of which were done with systems above the specs of enaberif's system. Antec.com Are they ALL lying? IMO, there may be a problem with a SMALL QUANTITY of the TPQ series and the people who have those problems are a very minor yet vocal crowd. To assume that the majority of TPQW 850W power supplies have a problem would be a huge error. So far I've got a count of 7 working TPQ 850 PSUs out of 8 customers with the one not working belonging to enaberif. That is far from convincing me that there is a problem with these. Another option could be that whoever is having a problem with this unit is not plugging the modular PCI-E cable into the right modular interface connector. Just a thought....
SKY,

I have tried the PCI-E from the power supply itself, I've tried the PCI-E connector off the red connector AND I've tried the twin molex to 6pin as well with exactly the same results. I have also uninstalled the drivers and re-installed and even tried 169.02 AND .04 with the same results.

I'm not a person who doesn't know what they are doing and will try to exhaust all possible reasons and answered before drawing a final conclusion and since I've had to RMA this thing once due to a faulty PSU fan, I'm going to believe that it is faulty again!

I have also had to RMA this power supply once due to being faulty so I'm really hoping something can be done about this AGAIN as I have no way of testing another power supply without buying one.

And the guy from THIS site didn't run a dual setup only a single card like myself and had the exact issue until he switched power supplies! So again I'm clearly going to stand by my words and say there are issues with these whether you want to believe it or not.
Old October 31, 2007, 08:43 AM

VERY interesting. So the problem stems from the communication between the PSU and the card....or supposedly it does. It is interesting that the RMA rates for this PSU haven't been that bad.
Old October 31, 2007, 10:01 AM

Personally, I think this shows one thing which is very important to remember: no matter what us reviewers have to say, we can only give you a glimpse of a certain product. While my testing is quite a bit longer than many others out there, it is by no means long term. The real proof of a product is how well it holds up in consumer's hands on a daily basis. It is unfortunate that this happens but at the same time, it is usually on a very minor basis....unless you are talking about older Antec SPII 450W PSUs....
Old October 31, 2007, 10:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

So as of 9:30am Antec has gotten back to me and I can choose to either do a express cross ship on my bill then get it refunded later or just send it to them on their bill. My only concern at this point due to me RMA'ng it once already is I'm not not comfortable now.

So I'll away word from NCIX.

TBA