Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2007, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah, it's the weirdest problem. Antec didn't even have a fix for it. They basically just told me to wait until they get an fix, which i wasn't willing to wait for. There were some other people with the same problem, on EVGA forums, with the same answer; nothing can be done. If you're not running dual GTX's, then the 620W from corsair is more than enough. It is happlily powering my OC'd quad, 4GB RAM, GTX 650/1050, as well as 7 fans and a swiftech watercooling kit. Doesn't even get hot.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old October 31, 2007, 11:59 AM
Antec Rep.

In fact, the TPQ-850 has more than enough power to run an 8800GTX and is SLI certified. Unfortunately there is what amounts to a recently identified communications problem between some units of the power supply and the firmware on NVIDIA's card that causes an error message to be generated. Antec apologizes for any inconvenience, and is working with NVIDIA to isolate the precise cause and identify the solution as quickly as possible.

Not every Quattro affected.

We have revised units that solve the problem for those who have encountered it, and will gladly swap units for those customers. If you have further questions or need help with any Antec product, please contact Antec Customer Support which can be reached at 1-800-22-ANTEC.
Old October 31, 2007, 12:07 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I may as well ask this question before anyone else does and so it is posted up on the forum: It seems like there is a communication problem with the 8800GT as well. Will Antec have a fix for this as well?
Old October 31, 2007, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntecRep View Post
In fact, the TPQ-850 has more than enough power to run an 8800GTX and is SLI certified. Unfortunately there is what amounts to a recently identified communications problem between some units of the power supply and the firmware on NVIDIA's card that causes an error message to be generated. Antec apologizes for any inconvenience, and is working with NVIDIA to isolate the precise cause and identify the solution as quickly as possible.

Not every Quattro affected.

We have revised units that solve the problem for those who have encountered it, and will gladly swap units for those customers. If you have further questions or need help with any Antec product, please contact Antec Customer Support which can be reached at 1-800-22-ANTEC.
Well unfortunately for Antec NCIX has allowed me to return this to the store for a different power supply and I am going to do that. I believe in first impressions and having to RMA my first one due to being fault and having to go through the hassle yet again because my 2nd one is faulty doesn't sit right me as a customer.

SKYMTL sent me a pm and for that I have more respect for him than I already did for all the work he does but I will have to decline his offer as nice as it was.

I truely do hope Antec sorts out what it is that is causing this issue.

So I'll post back this evening or maybe tomorrow after I pickup my new one to post my results.
Old October 31, 2007, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiViD View Post
I'm happy to hear that Antec is acknowledging the issue and is working to correct on it. I'll tell the warranty techs I work as well in case any future swap-outs have to be done.
Because of not wanting any downtime NCIX allowed me to return mine and I switched it out for a 750w PC Power & Cooling so I should be good now!
Old November 18, 2007, 06:58 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I may as well ask this question before anyone else does and so it is posted up on the forum: It seems like there is a communication problem with the 8800GT as well. Will Antec have a fix for this as well?
Antec, I would like an answer on this too please. My thread is here:
Not enough power for EN8800GT?? - PC Perspective Forums

I believe that this is DEFINITELY a problem with the 8800GT's as well. I just need Antec to confirm it.
Old November 18, 2007, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hey Guys? Can we please keep the Antec B**CH slapping down a little? I'm really worried my own Antec will hear you guys! It'll get sick too!!
Old November 18, 2007, 11:39 AM
Rookie

I have officially confirmed that the 850W TPQ PSU is still a problem with the 8800GT's. I plugged the card into a buddy of mine's PC with a 350W AOpen PSU and it worked PREFECTLY!! no sentinal errors and tested a few games and viola! No problems. The card flies!!

Now, if this card can run on a 350W PSU, then HELL man , Antec, start investigating PLEASE because you are going to cause many headaches for thousands of people around the world if you don't...
Old February 12, 2008, 03:30 PM
Antec Rep.

Exclamation Antec TPQ & 8800 graphics card

Antecís TruePower Quattro power supplies, the TPQ-850 and TPQ-1000 have way more than enough power to run an 8800 graphics card and are SLI certified by NVIDIA. The actual issue with the graphics card and System Sentinel is a communication issue. The Supply has plenty of power, but the card is not handling it properly.

This problem is not only with the Antec supply. Other brands of power supply are having these issues as well. There have been reports of power supplies from Corsair, ThermalTake, Enermax, Rosewill, OCZ, XCLIO, and Silverstone not working with these cards as well.

Nvidia SLI certified our power supply to work with the cards. Months after the launch of their card we started to have problems with the 8800GTX and the Quattro supplies. We implemented a fix at this time because we were the only company with the issue. This fix worked for any user having the 8800GTX issue.

Then Nvidia released the (G92) core series of graphics cards GTS/GT. These cards sometimes do not work with either the original or fixed version of our power supply. We have been researching the issue, and Nvidia has been testing this issue in their labs. The problem appears to be a hardware interaction. With the right (wrong?) motherboard/graphics card/PSU, this issue occurs. Many combinations work, however (weíve got an off-the-shelf Crosshair+8800GT 512+Quattro 850 system running perfectly in our lab), so changing any of the components could possibly make the system work. It seems that a bios fix/flash is going to be the final solution, but we donít have any definite answers at this time.
Old February 12, 2008, 03:37 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Thanks for the update.