Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 26, 2007, 09:00 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Comment thread for TPQ vs DA850 Review

Both manufacturers have great power supplies but the Antec wins out in this review.

You can find the review here: Antec Truepower Quattro 850W vs Silverstone Decathlon 850W Review

Please use this thread to post your comments and questions.

Also, check out the Sponsored Deals thread where NCIX and Hardwarecanucks are offering you an absolutely insane deal on this power supply!!

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...h-nov-9th.html
Old October 26, 2007, 10:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Wow that is an awesome deal. I was looking at the Quattro 850 after seeing an ad in MaximumPC. It seemed like quite a deal and would have been my runner-up if the Galaxy 1000 continues to stay in expensive-land. It looks like the Quattro will be my first choice now; again, thanks to your quality review.
Old October 27, 2007, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

In a time of shopping for a new power supply I was going to choose between the PC Power and Cooling 750w but since at the time I couldn't get it I opted out for the Antec TPQ 850w and was a little disheartened right of the beginning in regards to two things.

1) Immediately firing up my system the power supply was considerably louder than any others I've heard and I'm talking being able to hear a 80mm fan 2 rooms away. Turns out if I used the 8 pin ATX connector it overloaded or put strain or something on the power supply and made it work harder but if I used the 4 pin it was perfectly fine. So back to the store I went RMA'd it and got another and its been good.

2) Second complain revolves around the modular connections. Now while most people will never use all of them, if you do have a larger system it doesn't become a bit of a pain in the but because you have limited connectors unlike other modular systems but I'm thinking this maybe due to having the 4 12v rails.

But either way I'm overall very happy with this power supply as its feeding my e6600 1.47v to keep it stable at 3.4ghz and my 4gb of memory overclocked and least but not last my 7900 GT CO overclocked and never had a hitch!

I'm definitely happy with the TPQ and after this review I'm even more happy with it!
Old October 27, 2007, 12:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Great review, but be cautious. You may be un-lucky like me and have a videocard compatibility issue. With my 8800GTX from EVGA, I was getting a "Videocard not given enough power" message from Nvidia on boot, as if I didn't have the power plugged in, and it was clocking down the card. Couldn't even play HL2. Anyway, I contacted Antec and it is a known issue that should be fixed, but I haven't got a response back yet saying they fixed it. You may be lucky, and I don't think many people have had this problem, but I hope they have fixed it!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old October 30, 2007, 09:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
Great review, but be cautious. You may be un-lucky like me and have a videocard compatibility issue. With my 8800GTX from EVGA, I was getting a "Videocard not given enough power" message from Nvidia on boot, as if I didn't have the power plugged in, and it was clocking down the card. Couldn't even play HL2. Anyway, I contacted Antec and it is a known issue that should be fixed, but I haven't got a response back yet saying they fixed it. You may be lucky, and I don't think many people have had this problem, but I hope they have fixed it!
DING! Happened to me too!
Old November 4, 2007, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Man- I just ordeered one of these psus- I have an evga 8800gts- is it a known issue with all evga 8800's? how did you guys get around it?

EDIT: ok- just found the other thread on the issues- so it's just the GTX?

Last edited by Babrbarossa; November 4, 2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old November 4, 2007, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Man- I just ordeered one of these psus- I have an evga 8800gts- is it a known issue with all evga 8800's? how did you guys get around it?

EDIT: ok- just found the other thread on the issues- so it's just the GTX?
No its the G80 cards with the TPQ 850 and 1000 and the only way around it is to buy a different power supply or hope that the one you have works with your card.

I have a 8800 GT and it didn't work.
Old November 4, 2007, 07:48 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Report back to us about what happens. I am curious since these problems seem rare from mine and my friends' experience.