Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2010, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Why in gods name would you move a desktop anywhere in the first place? That's why they developed laptop computers! My PC gets moved every six months to get blown out.

I dunno....LAN Parties perhaps? Conventions?

Laptops are NEVER as powerful as a full fledged PC.
Old March 23, 2010, 07:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I am however considering holding off on ordering my mosfet blocks now that I saw the Rampage Extreme III.
lol This isn't for bragging rights or e-peen size its just cuz I love working on PC's which is why I don't do budgets.
Nothing wrong with that...I enjoy nice HW as well....seems some think you have to be a Liquid Nitro Head to enjoy great HW, otherwise the "e-peen BS" gets thrown in thier.....enjoy your HW...!!
Old March 24, 2010, 09:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
a fridge is design to cold thing that don't procuduce heat, if you put a rad in a fridge you are gone burn your cpu and everything plug on it , the rad will heat the interior of the fridge until it reach very high temp and burn the cpu, and yes even if the fridge is working

This I doubt very much. You'd have to have some Insane heat going into the fridge to counteract its cooling ability. Considering Compressors 1/4 the size work for Phase Change....
Espically considering the average fridge can 'Move' about 1600W worth of heat at any given time.

Give or take.

I want proof, or I call BS on this.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com

Last edited by Soultribunal; March 24, 2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old March 24, 2010, 09:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
This I doubt very much. You'd have to have some Insane heat going into the fridge to counteract its cooling ability. Considering Compressors 1/4 the size work for Phase Change....
Espically considering the average fridge can 'Move' about 1600W worth of heat at any given time.

Give or take.

ST
I agree. Running a full high end gaming PC inside a fridge is a perfectly plausible scenario which I think would work perfectly if you could ensure condensation never ever forms.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old March 24, 2010, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Give or take.

ST
Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought it wasn't that a fridge couldn't handle the heat, it's that it couldn't handle the constant load. I thought that was the case anyways, that'd you'd kill it pretty quick.
Old March 25, 2010, 12:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Give or take.

ST
you also have to consider that a phase cooler is only cooling the CPU; not the CPU, the HDDs, the video card/s the PSU and the components on the motherboard.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old March 25, 2010, 05:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes I do take that into consideration. But even when cooling the entire Computer I highly doubt there is 1600W (Average too, there are better fridges outt here) of heat generated.

Condesation would be an issue but a fridge has more than enough capability.

Anywho, total off topic with the thread, my mistake there.

Enjoy the 5970's mate, your HX should do fine.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 25, 2010, 05:22 AM
shaw

This fridge cooling was tested, and found to be inadequate. Example:

Info: Fridge as PC Cooler - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
putting the "fridge as a cooling system" to rest - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
Old March 25, 2010, 05:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I personnaly prefer the toaster mod. One can use the heat generated to grill your morning toast to perfection. Cant find the link right now......

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old March 25, 2010, 06:25 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

You guys need to remember that a phase change cooler is also not going to air its harnessing the compressors power and transferring it DIRECTLY to the CPU. A fridge has a temp sensor and its compressor would run at 100% 24/7 until it eventually failed and your computer heated the insulated case until it blew up. We should get Mythbusters to something on this .

lol This thread has gone way off track.
Intel i7-970 4.0GHz 1.25V | Asus Rampage III Extreme | Corsair Dominator 12GB | Asus 7970 DCII Crossfire | Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black | Seasonic X1200 | Lian Li X2000F | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64