Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 16, 2010, 10:24 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Power Supply Questions

Hi all-
I saw a pretty good idea to help with cable management. In my case (Lancool PC-K62) the hard drives all line up vertically, as did the CM690 i just moved from, and an issue was always the "bunching" of the sata power cable bewteen the drives, the plugs being only about 2" apart and the connectors on the power supply cables more like 6". His idea was to move the connectors on the power supply cable so they were closer together, and on the tutorial, i looked like a snap... but in practice, more than i thought. Some of the issues i ran into were...
1. the connectors i had from the power supply and a slew of adapters had a few different styles. the "inline" connectors seem to use a self-splicing type, the idea being to force the insulated cable down into the metal ends, cutting thru the insulation and capping it off. this was pretty difficult for me using a tiny screw driver, couldn't be sure the connection would be good. ( if there is a crimping tool designed for these i would love a link)
2. the adapters i had were 4 wire type standard in molex 4 pin plugs but the power supply sata cables used a 5 wire configuration adding a orange wire. some information i was able to find indicated this 5th wire is not needed (yet) what are your thoughts?

To deal with the ungainly self-splicing adapters, i thought of cutting away the insulation where the wire would contact the connector and soldering it in place, but with all the plastic of the connector, i'm not sure if its a good idea.

My question is what would you recommend as the best way to accomplish this? ( getting 4 sata power connectors on a cable about 2" apart)

the other question i had was about the different voltages of the wires coming from the power supply. Is black and yellow always the same no matter which set of wires its coming from? For example; i am using a Sunbeam fan controller and power feed is a 4 pin molex adapter that has just a yellow and black wire feeding power to the unit, since this is the only thing in my computer that would use a 4 pin molex connector, and for cable management i didn't want to add a whole line from my OZC Modextreme 700 wat power supply i did this... the power suppply come with the 24 pin main atx power, and 8 pin cpu and 4 pin cpu cable hard wired to the power supply unit. i had a 4 pin cpu extension cable so i spliced yellow to yellow and black to black to hook the fan controller pwer feed to the extension cable, then plugged the extension cable to the 4 pin power supply cable, it seems to be working, but i got thinking about the 5v, 3v, 12v aspect of the power supply and was wondering if it mattered in this case? so is what i did ok?

thanks in advance for any and all input
Old March 16, 2010, 11:45 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Wire colors are standardized. They are as follows:

Black: Ground
Yellow: +12V
Red: +5V
Orange: +3.3V
Brown: +3.3V Sense
Purple: +5V SB
Blue: -12V

I won't really go into the splicing and rewiring part since it is not my expertise.
Old March 16, 2010, 12:09 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Wire colors are standardized. They are as follows:

Black: Ground
Yellow: +12V
Red: +5V
Orange: +3.3V
Brown: +3.3V Sense
Purple: +5V SB
Blue: -12V

I won't really go into the splicing and rewiring part since it is not my expertise.
So the wires for the 8pin cpu cable and the 4 pin cpu cable both run from the 12volt. and molex 4 pin connectors use power from both 12 volt and 5 volt?
Do you know whether the orange wire is truly needed for sata power cables?
Old March 16, 2010, 12:30 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yes, you should keep the +3.3V connector.
Old March 16, 2010, 12:37 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The +3.3V wire is not required by SATA drives (this should be obvious from the fact that molex to SATA adapters work and don't have a +3.3V wire), but if you can keep a +3.3V wire in there, you should.
Old March 16, 2010, 12:54 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for your help!!
Old March 17, 2010, 03:28 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Any thoughts on the Sata power cables?