Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2010, 04:00 PM
Rookie

Default Silverstone Strider Plus 850 review

In regards to the Silverstone Strider 850 review, and the comment that the PCI cables had a "capacitor" attached to the end to "supposedly" reduce "ripple"and improve "volatge regulation".

The photo shows what appears to be a heat-shrinked tubular device on these cables. That makes it a ordinary ferrite choke (inductor) surrounding the conductors. This adds inductive reactance to the circuit. It's a simple line noise filter, (and a nice touch). See any HP laptop power supply for comparables.

Secondly, IMO the computer bad capacitor scandal is long gone. What I'd like to see in PSU reviews for filtering specs is:

1. Size in microfarads plus total primary and secondary values.
2. Temp rating.
3. Type of cap.
9. Manufacturer.
Old March 14, 2010, 04:33 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

They are filter capacitors. Not ferrite chokes like Tagan / Topower add to their units.
Old March 16, 2010, 05:37 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I have a Strider Plus 850, good little PSU but I find that the fan is a little on the noisy side for my liking. I may swap it out for a Noctua 140mm at the end of it's warranty period.
Old March 25, 2010, 06:21 PM
Rookie

Default Silverstone 1/2 replies...

I've also contacted Silverstone USA and Taiwan; (which declined to comment).

USA says: "It is a capacitor to reduce electrical whine/buzz associated with high performance graphics cardís dynamic loading changes."

So it *is a cap, and a line noise filter, but in this position is electrically impossible to affect 'ripple' or 'voltage regulation'.