Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   2 PSUs in a Stacker (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/2900-2-psus-stacker.html)

Babrbarossa October 14, 2007 03:02 PM

2 PSUs in a Stacker

Anyone here own a Stacker 830? I have one on the way and I'm wondering about the possibility of using both of my OCZ GXStream 700w PSUs in there- I have a watercooling setup and a ton of fans so I'd like to break the load up a bit - also I'm going to add a second loop if I get another 8800 which has been under consideration for some time ;-)- is there room for two loops, two PSUs?? also how much load to you need to put on them to get them to put out power?

I know it would be much simpler to get a 1KW PSU, but yasee, I have these two puppies here.....

Robscix October 15, 2007 10:05 AM

You could sure, if you can fit them both in the stacker. You also need to come up with a scheme to get them both to power up at the same time. Use the power switch for the one and get another switch for the back up PSU. May be more trouble then it is worth -Cool no the less.:clap:

Theblackmages October 15, 2007 07:24 PM

you could do it and hot wire em so they start at the same time, I wouldn't do it.the problem is that if you put power for only 12V rails you could do something that's called "Crossloading" and It will break the psu after a while.If you don't put power on the 5V rail and 3.3 at the same time well it does that.just get a bigger power supply and sell those two :P

brewer265@ October 15, 2007 11:31 PM

the original stacker came with the wiring connector to run 2 power supplies.

brewer265@ October 15, 2007 11:32 PM

heres a link to what it looks like.Dual PSU 24-Pin Adapter Cable Products Model: ULT40011 [ULT40011] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

enaberif October 16, 2007 12:33 AM

All that adapter is doing is splicing into a ground and the only green wire off the main power supply which is the wire that signals the power supply to turn on.

The issue with this is that as said if you don't apply enough load on the secondary power supply you could possibly burn it out.

Shadowmeph October 16, 2007 08:44 AM

I am new at this and am wondering what is the purpose in having 2 power supplies? why not just have a very good single PSU wouldn't you save money that way

Robscix October 16, 2007 08:55 AM

He already has the extra PSU laying around.

enaberif October 16, 2007 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 22671)
I am new at this and am wondering what is the purpose in having 2 power supplies? why not just have a very good single PSU wouldn't you save money that way

Sometimes you want as much power dedicated from one power to power your system and another to run accessories like water cooling pumps and fans and this helps in taking strain off one power supply and make it work better.

Babrbarossa October 16, 2007 02:38 PM

Hmm- any links to discussions on this underload burnout thing? I'll look into this more later tonight.