Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2007, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Hmm- any links to discussions on this underload burnout thing? I'll look into this more later tonight.
I ran two power supplies in a computer once; both were 400w power supplies and one powered a video card and the other my entire system.
Old October 16, 2007, 05:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yikes- I just did one of those PSU calculators and it reported that should have 918KW under 80% load once I add the other hard drive and the overclocked quad core. I know those things aren't exactly accurate, but it's enough to give pause- Anyone know of an accurate psu calculator?

Edit: Looking at this JonnyGuru thread, I think I can relax about needing 1kw, although I wish I had something with less ripple than the OCZ.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; October 16, 2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old October 16, 2007, 06:27 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I ran two power supplies in a computer once; both were 400w power supplies and one powered a video card and the other my entire system.
did both use some 5V and 3.3V or 1 just 12v? also for how much time did you run them?
Old October 16, 2007, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theblackmages View Post
did both use some 5V and 3.3V or 1 just 12v? also for how much time did you run them?
Ah! Sheet I just remembered how I had it setup :( I had it setup so that it wasn't enabled off the 2nd power supply and both ran independatly... sorry!
Old October 16, 2007, 07:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I am new at this and am wondering what is the purpose in having 2 power supplies? why not just have a very good single PSU wouldn't you save money that way
Quietness is another factor. Can't speak for the specific PSU's in question, but many units are very quiet under light load, but their fans ramp up to annoying levels at higher loads. If the load is properly distributed, two PSU's at light load can be a lot quieter at a high power level.

But yeah, some PSU's act a little funny at low levels, especially when you're not drawing enough power on the 3.3 and 5 volt rails. It varies from unit to unit, though. Some of the good PSU testers check crossload performance, but I'm not sure if voltage stability during crossloading is a valid indicator of the unit's ability to handle low levels over the long term.