Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2010, 02:24 AM
Rookie

Default Help a noob regarding PSU airflow

Hello I'm currently working on my first build, I got a HX1000W and was wondering, whats the directio nof airflow on a PSU? Is the fan pushing air out? Or is it sucking it in? Since I'm installing this in a Silverstone Raven, which the PSU bottom facing fan is basiclly 1" above the floor (raven's PSU space is in the bottom of the case) will thies adverselly affect the cooling performance?

Thank you for your help and patience.

Last edited by Houten; February 13, 2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old February 13, 2010, 06:19 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The PSU sucks air into the large fan opening on the side and exhausts it out the back. All PSUs are like this. If the PSU has an inch of space, that should be enough.
Old February 13, 2010, 06:34 AM
Banned
F@H

And Zero is even overkill with is 1"

welcome to the board Houten, Zero is or internal PSU expert, I just make this comment because he always say I buy to much powerfull PSU I will not go lower than 1" like Zero suggest, a Floor is usally dirty, especially if you have dog around, on a desk I will have say that 1/2" will have be enough
Old February 13, 2010, 08:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

All PSU (as far as I know) blow air out of the case.
Old February 13, 2010, 09:03 AM
Banned
F@H

if your case doesnt have a decent filter get one, dust and all kind of things will eventually accumulate and have adverse effects on the unit. ive seen some 'horror stories' first hand with dust ridden psu's going/gone.
Old February 13, 2010, 09:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Old PSUs used to blow inside the case but they realized this was a bad idea and most psu will blow out of the case these days
Old February 13, 2010, 10:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Zero is or internal PSU expert
nope...SKYMTL has filled that role here for the past few years...and has done fine job with the "techy mumbo jumbo" stuff ;)

Old February 13, 2010, 01:23 PM
Rookie

So the Fan push the air out? Raven has a filter right below the fan which is facing the floor, wouldn't this be useless? Since the air is going to come in
from the side where the power cable/power switch is and exit out the through the fan and then through the filter where as the filter is just filtering the exhaust?
Old February 13, 2010, 01:36 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houten View Post
So the Fan push the air out? Raven has a filter right below the fan which is facing the floor, wouldn't this be useless? Since the air is going to come in
from the side where the power cable/power switch is and exit out the through the fan and then through the filter where as the filter is just filtering the exhaust?
You must be joking us here, I can't beleive you buy a hx1000 , a raven and you don't know from where the air go out in your PSU, are you trolling us ? the exhaust true the filter is too much

come'on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Old PSUs used to blow inside the case but they realized this was a bad idea and most psu will blow out of the case these days

as far as I remember, I never see a psu that blow inside
Old February 13, 2010, 02:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I got a HX1000W and was wondering, whats the directio nof airflow on a PSU? Is the fan pushing air out?
The Fan draws Air in and forces it out the back...ideally you should have an air vent at the bottom of the Case, then the PSU sits on that, drawing in fresh air frm beneath the Case and expelling it out the back.