Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2010, 07:49 AM
Top Prospect

Default I think my PSU died...?

So, I'm pretty sure that my power supply went a couple nights ago. The fuse for our office blew while my wife and I were each working on our computers. After I replaced the fuse she fired her computer back up and I figured everything was fine and went to bed.

When I tried to go on the computer last night, I had no power coming through the psu. No lights on the mobo or anything. I tried a couple other sockets on my surge protector, and the comp wouldn't power up. The surge protector had power, as did the other things connected to it, and I double checked things with a little socket tester...all good.

Does this sound like a blown psu? I have nothing else to really test with. My wife's comp is a Mac, and my other computers are too old for my psu to connect to those mobos, or vice versa.

I'm hoping its just a dead psu, and that I didn't kill the mobo or anything else in the process.

Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good PSU in the $80 range?

I'm running an XFX 680i LT, Q6600, 6GB ram (2x2gb, 2x 1gb), EVGA 8800GT, 3x 500gb seagate hd's, and a pump for a wc loop. I'm assuming 600w is plenty for this kind of setup?

I'm looking around at various websites now for a psu...I can check prices and read ratings/reviews, but, I'd trust some input from someone here who knows what they're talking about....since I dont. :)

A couple of PSUs I'm looking at right now:
OCZ ModXStream Pro Power Supply - 700-Watt, Modular, Dual +12V Rails, SATA, 80Plus
Buy the OCZ ModXStream Pro Power Supply at TigerDirect.ca

OCZ Fatal1ty Series Power Supply - 550-Watt, PCI-Express, SATA, ATX
Buy the OCZ Fatal1ty Series Power Supply at TigerDirect.ca

Last edited by Pax; February 12, 2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old February 12, 2010, 08:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Its sounding like your PSU died. How old is it right now and who is it by, you may have it covered under warranty still and just have to RMA it. You could try manually jumpering it on with just a case fan on to see if it is truely your PSU. If the fan connected to it turns on then you probably have a dead mobo, though if it doesn't turn on then you got yourself a dead psu.
Old February 12, 2010, 08:14 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Its sounding like your PSU died. How old is it right now and who is it by, you may have it covered under warranty still and just have to RMA it. You could try manually jumpering it on with just a case fan on to see if it is truely your PSU. If the fan connected to it turns on then you probably have a dead mobo, though if it doesn't turn on then you got yourself a dead psu.
The PSU is about 3 years old now. I'm pretty sure it's an Ultra XVS 700W. It came with the Ultra Grid case that I bought a long time ago. I'm pretty sure it's not a great PSU, since it and the case together were only 80 bucks. Even tho it could still be at the tail end of it's warranty, I'm not sure I want to go with something that "cheap" again.

I'll try and get a fan running off of the psu on Monday or Tuesday. I'll be going away for the weekend so no time to fix it anything :\
Old February 12, 2010, 09:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If it does happen to be dead you will be SOL on using an OCZ powersupply. Yeah I'm an Ultra Fan but the PSU's they included with their cases were less than ideal and used really bad OEMs.

If you gotta go to Tiger, usually Ultra has the LSP on sale , its a Server Based PSU that is much Higher Grade than the one you had before.
If you Order Online something Corsair, Seasonic (though they are expensive depending where you look) or Silverstone would do you good.

My thoughts at least.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 12, 2010, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

These two are way better then to OCZ previously listed, for sure the corsair is the best in the list. Will be way enough for your rig and will give you reliability for long term use. Also dead quiet. It sound like you have a dead PSU but the only way to know it is to confirm with a case fan plugged in like ST tell you to do.

NCIX.com - Buy Antec Earthwatts 650W Power Supply ATX12V V2.2 EPS12V Active PFC 80PLUS 120MM Fan - EA650 In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair TX650W 650W ATX 12V 52A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan - CMPSU-650TX In Canada.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 12, 2010, 10:19 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I may end up going with the Corsair. I've used them a couple times for builds for friends, and they've been great.

I'll double check the psu I have and see if it'll make a fan go or not.
Old February 12, 2010, 11:38 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

This will do nicely and is better than anything that Tigerdirect lists on their website in the same wattage and price range: Newegg.ca - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Free shipping as well.