Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2010, 12:58 AM
Rookie

Default Can an excession power draw blow up your PSU?

I am trying to figure out why my PSU blew up today. Installed a HD4850x2 and as soon as I powered up my comp the PSU made a loud popping sound and I could smell smoke. It was a PCP&C 610 watt. So it wasn't a crappy brand or anything. Had to get a new 750 watt Corsair supply and it works now but still trying to figure out what went wrong.
Old January 22, 2010, 06:47 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sometimes PSUs just decide to go. If anything the PSU's OCP should have kicked in before it went tits up.

However, it should still be under warranty.
Old January 22, 2010, 06:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

There is a possibility if you overload a power supply that has been poorly designed, or not designed to have a fail safe (which typically is a fuse) it will blow the power supply (or at least some of the capacitors). IF you smelled smoke and possibly crispy electronic parts there is a good chance that you blew the power supply. There is however a slim chance that the power supply had a fuse and that is all you smelled(it popping). If you have a warranty still on it i would contact that manufacturer for an RMA, if you dont you should carefully open it up and look for a fuse location. If the fuse looks blown, replace it and try the power supply again.
Old January 22, 2010, 01:33 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

How old is the Silencer? If you bought it less than 5 years ago, call up PCP&C and get it replaced.
Old January 22, 2010, 01:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sometimes even the Best can Fail. Its the Human Condition of Imperfection in its finest hour.

PC and P is a good company I am sure they can RMA it for you no worries.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 23, 2010, 09:29 PM
Rookie

Yea no worries. It was only 2 years old. I was thinking about RMA'ing it but I really don't need another psu, especially one that's less than 700 watts. Probably just do it anyway and sell it on craigslist or something.
Old January 23, 2010, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTCM View Post
Yea no worries. It was only 2 years old. I was thinking about RMA'ing it but I really don't need another psu, especially one that's less than 700 watts. Probably just do it anyway and sell it on craigslist or something.
Sell it here.
Old January 23, 2010, 09:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Sell it here.
Shipping from US to Canada is probably not worth it in terms of costs and hassle with international shipping. But if someone really wants it I guess, lol.
Old January 24, 2010, 06:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTCM View Post
the PSU made a loud popping sound and I could smell smoke. It was a PCP&C 610 watt.
As they say in electronics, once you let the smoke out - it's hard to get it back in! :)
Glad to see you can RMA it at least.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.