Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2010, 10:49 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Exclamation power supply for a Core i5 build?

This is the one I'm thinking of getting:
Newegg.ca - Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W ATX 12V 2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Does anyone know if this particular PSU would be a good one to buy for a Core i5 build?:

$120 seems like a good deal for an 850W modular PSU -- it even has free shipping for a limited time! However, I can't find a single actual website review on it. The only testimonials available are the ones on its Newegg page.

I'm also looking at this Corsair PSU as well:
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Looking around, I see that alot of new PSUs have "i5/i7 compatibility" -- The Thermaltake PSU in particular, doesn't. Does this "compatibility" thing really matter? Is it just a marketing ploy? And will this particular power supply be able to power my Core i5 build?

My new build will consist of these parts:
Intel Core i5 750
EVGA P55 FTW
OCZ PC3-10666 Platinum DDR3 RAM 4GB Dual Channel
EVGA GTX 260 Core 216
WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA II HDD
LG 24X SATA DVD Writer
Antec 300 Mid-Tower Case
2 Extra 120mm fans

I want to get the 850W PSU for some extra headroom, but it's known that Corsair PSUs are very reputable -- unfortunately, however, the one listed above is only 650 watts... Which PSU do you guys think I should get for my build?

E/ I need an answer quick, I'm hoping to order as soon as possible! :) Thanks!

Last edited by edisleado; January 10, 2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old January 9, 2010, 11:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

650 watts is more than enough.
I personally am not a fan of Thermaltake but the newegg reviews are decent.
There is the possible advantage of a 12V@52A single rail on the Corsair 650 vs. 4 rails @ 18A on the Thermaltake.
p.s. the 850w Thermaltake Toughpower version p/s is reviewed on HWC here.

Just a thought; (i.e. get what you want); you might consider spending less on the FTW MB and a bit more on faster ram. 2c
MAIN: i5 3570 @ 4.5Ghz wH100 / evga GTX780 SOC / MSI Z77A-G45 / 8gb G.Skill 2133 1T / 30" 2560x1600 / Antec P280 / PCP&C 950w / Intel 520 SSD 240gb / Eclipse / G3-Lazer / z5300 / Win7 Pro64 / APC Xs1300
HTPC : nMedia6000B / AMD X2 4400+ / M2A-VM / Corsair 4GB 800 / LiteOn Blu-Ray / 8800GT / Samsung 46"LCD / 2x2TB / OCZ500 / ATI550 / Wrless Kbrd & Rmte / z-5500 / Win7Pro / APC700
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" 
- Mahatma Gandhi  
Old January 10, 2010, 07:18 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

First of all, the Thermaltake is rated at 850W peak but is actually a 750W PSU if you look at the label. It's also a lower-end build and I wouldn't really recommend it. The Corsair is a better choice. However, 650W is more than you actually need. You could easily get away with a quality 500-550W unit, like the Corsair HX520 or VX550, Antec Truepower New 550W or Earthwatts 500W, Seasonic SS-500ET or SS-550HT, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSound View Post
p.s. the 850w Thermaltake Toughpower version p/s is reviewed on HWC here.
That unit is actually a fair bit different than the model the OP is looking at, although they do use the same platform.
Old January 10, 2010, 12:05 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
First of all, the Thermaltake is rated at 850W peak but is actually a 750W PSU if you look at the label.
How can you tell it's actually only a 750W PSU from the label?
Old January 10, 2010, 12:58 PM
Banned
F@H

What is this habit to suggest a less power full PSU than the OP ask..
what about if later he want to add a second PSU, other Optical drive , etc.....he will have to change PSU again... I don't see the need to suggest a lower one, when someone is already commit to buy a bigger one. PSU also produce more noise ( not the one you ear, electronic one ) , ripple and what ever electronic garbage, when they are use near full capacity .
Old January 10, 2010, 04:02 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisleado View Post
How can you tell it's actually only a 750W PSU from the label?
Because if you look at the label, it shows the maximum combined output of the PSU to be 750W, and then 850W is listed as the "peak power", which is meaningless. The continuous rating is what matters, and that PSU is really a 750W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
What is this habit to suggest a less power full PSU than the OP ask..
what about if later he want to add a second PSU, other Optical drive , etc.....he will have to change PSU again... I don't see the need to suggest a lower one, when someone is already commit to buy a bigger one. PSU also produce more noise ( not the one you ear, electronic one ) , ripple and what ever electronic garbage, when they are use near full capacity .
Why would I recommend something to him that he doesn't need? Then he would just be wasting his money for no reason.

PSUs do generally produce more ripple at higher load (I say generally because there are exceptions to this), but that doesn't matter as long as it is still in spec. And I would never recommend a PSU that cannot output its full rated power while maintaining ripple low enough to stay within the ATX spec.
Old January 10, 2010, 04:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I say the Corsair TX750. Great support and a great psu.

-Plato
Old January 10, 2010, 04:43 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Why would I recommend something to him that he doesn't need? Then he would just be wasting his money for no reason.
I just give you the reason before... you have to give some space for future upgrade .... I think we can build better system than HP

anyway that's my practice... I have always be generous with Power.

don't you read the question of the OP. first rule . you always listen the customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisleado View Post
I want to get the 850W PSU for some extra headroom, !
Old January 10, 2010, 04:52 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Sometimes what the customer thinks is best for him isn't actually what is best for him. Also, since I'm not getting paid for this, I can give my opinion which is backed up by a lot of experience, rather than just answering the OP's question and saying nothing else, which would not be very helpful in my opinion.

I find that most people who buy large PSUs for upgrade "headroom" end up waiting so long to upgrade that they have to replace the PSU anyway. My philosophy is to buy what you need, not what you think you'll need at some point in the future, because you have no way of knowing what will or won't be enough later on. And it's a philosophy that has worked out quite well for me.
Old January 10, 2010, 05:00 PM
Banned
F@H

Zero don't go sell car, the manager will kill you if someone get inside for a Cadillac and you sell him a cobalt.