Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2007, 05:28 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Comment Thread for Thermaltake Purepower Rx 600W PSU

Ladies and gents, we have a new winner in the price / performance category!!

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardw...ly-review.html

Please post your questions, comments, rants and raves in this thread!!

Old October 1, 2007, 05:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well.... you can certainly colour me impressed!!!!

Gotta wonder about the naming convention though... did they think their PSUs were sick enough to need a prescription???? :)

I'm a little bit concerned however about the "bargain" line they plan to put out.

Sounds an awful lot like what they were doing before, and we'll still end up with folks saying "but I thought the XXX line of Thermaltake PSUs were kickass....." to which we'll have to say "Actually yes they are pretty good... unfortunately you bought the XXX line for half the price and they suck.....".

Same Sh_t different pile.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 1, 2007, 06:16 AM

That could very well be but I have it on cood authority that nearly all of their new PSUs are better-quality CWT builds. Their older Purepower lineup was really hit and miss while their TR2s were no different but now it seems they have addressed some of the issues.

On the other hand, I have not SEEN one of the TR2 Rx series of power supplies but there are a few things to not like about them: not Active PFC and very limited modular connectors. It is still a CWT build but how good....who knows.
Old October 1, 2007, 01:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Great review as usual

The PCIe connectors are a bit odd, maybe they'll fix it in a later revision.

About time ThermalTake turned themselves around and started making some decent power supplies. Might just recommend this to my dad, those acyclic cases look ugly with a bunch of non-sleeved wires shoved in all over the place.

Their naming conventions are going to be confusing though. You can't just straight out recommend ThermalTake. You have to recommend the specific RX and ToughPower lines.

Would be great to see reviews of the new TR2/PurePower units for value based builds.

Quick question: this ThermalTake or the Corsair HX 520W? They seem to be around the same price point.
Old October 1, 2007, 01:34 PM

Expect a review of the TR2 line soon from us. I am not expecting it to be very good though but maybe it will surprise me.

Quote:
Quick question: this ThermalTake or the Corsair HX 520W? They seem to be around the same price point.
I would say it is a tie. It all comes down to what you want in the cables (the Corsair has cables some people don't like) and availability. The Purepower Rx seems hard to come by since NCIX doesn't have any and the other etailers that carry it don't seem to have much in the way of customer feedback.

Then again, expect this PSU up for sale in the Charity thread really soon.
Old October 2, 2007, 05:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks SKYMTL.
It seems that TT&CWT are doing a very good job with Purepower RX and Toughpower.
Old October 2, 2007, 06:42 AM

Agreed. I would just like to know how much they have revamped their TR2 line.
Old October 2, 2007, 08:31 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm curious too, because here one of the first choices for a PSU noob is TT TR2 470 and I need to know what should I tell him.
I'm eager to see that review (if you have one).
Thanks again SKYMTL.